Is it possible to switch from engineering to physics for an MS degree?

In summary, a Btech (BE equivalent) Mech engineering student from India discusses their love for physics and desire to pursue a career in theoretical physics. However, due to financial and job security reasons, they chose to study Mech engineering as their bachelor's degree. After two years, they found the engineering field to be boring and are now hoping to switch to a career in physics by applying for a Master's degree. They have heard that a career in physics is challenging, especially without a BS degree, and are seeking advice on whether it is possible to successfully switch fields at this point. Another individual shares their experience of going from B Elec Engg to PHD physics, but notes that EE has more physics and math than ME. They advise
kini.Amith
Hi,
I am a Btech ( BE equivalent) Mech engineering student from india. Since high school, I have loved physics as a subject and wanted to pursue a career in theoretical physics. But then due to financial and job security reasons and advice from my parents, I chose Mech engg as my bachelors ( This is by default the go-to field in India).
However after spending just the 1st 2 yrs, I found the engg field to be extremely boring, and even got depressed and sick due to discontent. I am currently in my 8th and final semester.
I am now desperately hoping to switch to a career in physics, hopefully applying for MS in Physics. However I have heard that a career in physics is extremely challenging, even more so without a BS physics degree.
Has anyone else been in my same situation and successfully acquired a satisfactory position? Is switching to a different field at this point completely out of the question?
Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I went from B Elec Engg to PHD physics, but EE has more physics and math than ME.
If your math and physics grades are very good, and you do well enough on the GRE, you could get into a reasonable physics grad school. You might have to (and probably should) take some UG physics your first year.

1. How does a Bachelor's degree in Engineering prepare me for a Master's degree in Physics?

A Bachelor's degree in Engineering provides a strong foundation in mathematics, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills, which are all essential for success in a Master's degree in Physics. Additionally, many engineering courses cover topics such as mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics, which are fundamental concepts in physics.

2. Are there any specific courses or prerequisites I should have for a Master's degree in Physics after completing a Bachelor's in Engineering?

While specific course requirements may vary depending on the program, it is generally recommended to have a strong background in mathematics, including calculus and differential equations. It is also beneficial to have taken courses in physics, particularly in mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics.

3. Can I pursue a Master's degree in Physics with a Bachelor's degree in any type of engineering?

Yes, a Bachelor's degree in any type of engineering can prepare you for a Master's degree in Physics. However, some engineering disciplines, such as mechanical or electrical engineering, may have more overlap with physics courses and may provide a more seamless transition.

4. How long does it typically take to complete a Master's degree in Physics after a Bachelor's in Engineering?

The length of time to complete a Master's degree in Physics after a Bachelor's in Engineering can vary depending on the program and individual circumstances. On average, it takes about 2 years of full-time study to complete a Master's degree in Physics.

5. What career opportunities are available with a Master's degree in Physics after a Bachelor's in Engineering?

A Master's degree in Physics can open up a wide range of career opportunities, including research positions in industry, government, or academia. Graduates may also find employment in fields such as data analysis, engineering, finance, and technology. Additionally, a Master's degree in Physics can serve as a stepping stone to a Ph.D. program for those interested in pursuing a career in scientific research or academia.