Preparing for University Math: Tips for Mastering Proofs

• Schools
  • Thread starter nathan444
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is going to study Maths at University in September and is looking for suggestions on what to read before starting. They are currently taking Further Maths A level and someone suggests the book "How to Prove It - A Structured Approach" by Velleman to help with proofs and Abstract Algebra. Another recommendation is "Reading, Writing & Proving" by Daepp & Gorkin. The advice is to focus on learning how to do proofs and then practice them.
nathan444
Hi everyone, I'm off to University to study Maths in September, I'm doing Further maths A level so I was wondering if there's anything you guys would suggest reading up on after my exams next month and before I go in September, thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest you to take a look at this book - How to Prove It - A Structured Approach, Velleman. It will teach you how to do proofs, it would help you a great deal with Abstract Algebra. Another book (slightly tougher, imo) is - Reading, Writing & Proving by Daepp & Gorkin.

Basically, learn how to do proofs and then practice it, that's all you would need.

1. What is "Pre-University Maths Prep"?

"Pre-University Maths Prep" is a course designed to prepare students for higher level mathematics courses typically taken in university or college. It covers topics such as algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and calculus.

2. Who is "Pre-University Maths Prep" intended for?

This course is intended for students who are planning to pursue a degree or career in a field that requires a strong foundation in mathematics, such as engineering, science, or economics. It is also helpful for students who want to improve their math skills before entering university or college.

3. What are the benefits of taking "Pre-University Maths Prep"?

By taking this course, students can improve their mathematical skills and understanding, which will prepare them for success in higher level math courses. It can also boost their confidence and help them feel more prepared for their academic pursuits.

4. How is "Pre-University Maths Prep" taught?

This course is typically taught in a classroom setting with a qualified math teacher. It may also be offered online through virtual lectures and assignments. The teaching methods may include lectures, group work, problem-solving exercises, and practice tests.

5. How can I enroll in "Pre-University Maths Prep"?

Enrollment for this course may vary depending on the institution offering it. Some schools may require students to take a placement test to determine their level of math proficiency, while others may have open enrollment. It is best to check with the institution offering the course for their specific enrollment process.