Understanding Tension in a Simple Bridge System

• Thread starter BillyCheung
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, the conversation discusses the construction of a bridge and the forces acting on it. The bridge is made of a uniform 6m long platform with a mass of 100kg, and has a frictionless hinge on one end and a rope attached to the other end. The rope supports a 110kg mass and makes an angle of 30 degrees to the horizontal. The solution involves summing moments and using the perpendicular component of force. The value of y is 3, and there is some disagreement over whether the calculation should involve cos30 or sin30.
BillyCheung
Dear all

A simple bridge made from uniform 6m long platform, whose centre of mass is at its midpoint. The mass of the bridge is 100kg. At one end A of the bridge, there is a frictionless hinge. A rope of negligible mass is attached to the other end B. This rope passes over a small frictionless pulley and supports a 110kg mass on its other end.

When the bridge is horizontal, the rope makes, at B, an angle of 30 degree to the horizontal. We may assume that the bridge is horizontal and motionless.

My solution is :

Let y be distance between the rope and the mass 110kg

Thus, T x 6 x cos30 = y x mg

But I don't know what is value of y. Would you mind teach me? Thank very much. Good Bye

Billy

Physics news on Phys.org
Since it's a static problem (no motion), you're just summing the moments, which equals zero (because it's static).

Anyway, since it seems you were using point A as your datum, the value for y would be 3 (because the force of the bridge acts at its center of gravity...the middle of beams/bridges/simple structures like that).

Oh, and it seems to me that it would be T*6*sin30, and not cos30.

When calculating moments, you use the component of force perpendicular to the object it is acting upon.

http://ccp.homeip.net/~billy/phy1.jpg

Thank very much.

In Figure 2, I think that 6 x cos 30 is correct answer. Why is your answer 6 x sin30? Thank a lot. Good Bye

Billy

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is tension and how does it affect objects?

Tension is a force that is created when an object is pulled or stretched. It can affect objects by causing them to change shape or move in a particular direction.

2. What are some common examples of tension in everyday life?

Some common examples of tension include pulling a rubber band, stretching a slingshot, or hanging a heavy object from a rope.

3. How is tension different from compression?

Tension and compression are two types of forces that act on objects in opposite directions. While tension pulls or stretches an object, compression pushes or squeezes it.

4. How can tension be measured and calculated?

Tension can be measured using a spring scale or a force meter. It can also be calculated using the formula T = F * L, where T is tension, F is the applied force, and L is the length of the object.

5. What are some ways to reduce tension in a system?

One way to reduce tension in a system is to add additional support or reinforcement to the object. Another way is to decrease the force being applied to the object. Alternatively, changing the material or design of the object can also help to reduce tension.