Who can solve the probability of perturbation in simple harmonic oscillator

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with question d) which involves finding an expression for the perturbed wavefunction in the ground state and using it to find the probability. They are not completely sure and are interested in seeing a solution. They also ask about how to find alpha in part (i) and mention using normalization to find N. They have attached their solution to part (i) below.
Youngwoo
Pleae help me.
a),b),c) was already solved.
but question d) is not.

Attachments

• probability of perturbation.JPG
    probability of perturbation.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 613
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not 100% sure but maybe you have to find an expression for the perturbed wavefunction in the ground state and then use this to find the probability? Again, that is just my intuition, I may be completely wrong, but I'd be interested to see a solution.

Also just out of interest how did you do part (i)? I assume you use normalisation to find N, but how do you find alpha?

Tangent87 said:
I'm not 100% sure but maybe you have to find an expression for the perturbed wavefunction in the ground state and then use this to find the probability? Again, that is just my intuition, I may be completely wrong, but I'd be interested to see a solution.

Also just out of interest how did you do part (i)? I assume you use normalisation to find N, but how do you find alpha?

I attached my solution

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 605
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 465
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    13.6 KB · Views: 507

What is a simple harmonic oscillator?

A simple harmonic oscillator is a system that experiences a restoring force proportional to its displacement from its equilibrium position. This results in a periodic motion, with a constant frequency and amplitude.

What is probability of perturbation?

The probability of perturbation refers to the likelihood that a perturbation, or disturbance, will occur in a system. In the context of a simple harmonic oscillator, it is the likelihood that the system will experience a change in its equilibrium state.

How is probability of perturbation calculated?

The probability of perturbation in a simple harmonic oscillator can be calculated using the principles of statistical mechanics. It involves considering all possible states of the system and their associated energies, and then using mathematical equations to determine the probability of each state occurring.

Who can solve the probability of perturbation in a simple harmonic oscillator?

Any scientist or researcher with a strong understanding of statistical mechanics and the principles of quantum mechanics can solve the probability of perturbation in a simple harmonic oscillator. This type of problem is often studied in fields such as theoretical physics and quantum chemistry.

What is the significance of solving the probability of perturbation in a simple harmonic oscillator?

Solving the probability of perturbation in a simple harmonic oscillator can provide valuable insights into the behavior and stability of the system. It can also help in understanding how external factors, such as temperature or pressure, may affect the system and its equilibrium state.