Computer Electronics Engineering Curriculum

In summary, the speaker is seeking help in constructing a list of topics and appropriate texts for self-study on the construction and building of computer parts and sciences. They mention having difficulty finding material beyond basic electronic foundations and are looking for a sequential approach. The suggested sequence includes learning about digital logic, micro-controllers and assembly language, computer architecture, and digital electronics. The speaker notes that the books recommended for digital electronics may be advanced for self-learners.
watters1989
Hey guys, I'm kind of building from my previous post of self-study. I am interested in the construction/building of computer parts and sciences. I was wondering if anybody could help me construct a list of topics (in sequence preferably) along with appropriate texts to learn what's listed? I know it is asking a lot, but I can't seem to find anything beyond basic electronic foundations material. Maybe its just because I don't know what this topic entails?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

I would suggest the following sequence:

1. Digital Logic: learn how logic gates/operations function

e.g. https://www.amazon.com/dp/0072525037/?tag=pfamazon01-20

2. Micro-controllers: understand how µcontrollers work, also familiarize yourself with the low level Assembly language.

e.g. https://www.amazon.com/dp/013119402X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

3. Computer Architecture: understand the different approaches to the system design as well as the functionality of the components

e.g. ?

4. Digital Electronics: see how to convert logic design to actual circuits using CMOS transistors

e.g. https://www.amazon.com/dp/0195323033/?tag=pfamazon01-20

and/or

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0130909963/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Note that the books mentioned in #4 can be considered to be of advanced level for self learners.

1. What courses are typically included in a computer electronics engineering curriculum?

A computer electronics engineering curriculum typically includes courses in computer programming, digital systems design, computer architecture, electronics, mathematics, and physics. These courses provide students with a strong foundation in both hardware and software aspects of computer engineering.

2. What skills and knowledge can I expect to gain from a computer electronics engineering curriculum?

Upon completion of a computer electronics engineering curriculum, you can expect to have a solid understanding of computer hardware and software, digital systems design, programming languages, and electronic circuits. You will also develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills that are essential for a career in this field.

3. Are there any specific prerequisites for a computer electronics engineering curriculum?

The prerequisites for a computer electronics engineering curriculum typically include a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science. Some universities may also require students to have completed courses in calculus, differential equations, and programming languages such as C++ or Java.

4. What career opportunities are available for graduates with a computer electronics engineering curriculum?

Graduates with a computer electronics engineering curriculum have a wide range of career opportunities in various industries such as electronics, telecommunications, computer hardware and software development, and robotics. Some specific job titles include computer engineer, embedded systems engineer, network systems engineer, and software developer.

5. Is it possible to specialize in a specific area within a computer electronics engineering curriculum?

Yes, many universities offer specializations or concentrations within their computer electronics engineering curriculum. Some common areas of specialization include embedded systems, computer networks, software engineering, and digital signal processing. These specializations allow students to focus on a particular area of interest and gain in-depth knowledge and skills in that field.