Laplace transform of unit step function

In summary, the conversation is about finding the Laplace transform of a function involving the unit step function u(t). Since the function is multiplied by u(-t), it is 0 for t≥0 and therefore has a Laplace transform of 0. The asker also wonders if the problem could involve a shift instead of the unit step function, but the question does not provide enough information to determine this.
Icetray

Homework Statement

dut86FX.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that u(t) is a unit step function and holds a value of either 0 or 1. In laplace transform, when we integrate f(t) from 0 to infinity, we take u(t) to be 1.

In this case, since u(t) is u(-t), does this mean it holds a value of 0? Does not make sense to me that both answers are 0.

Thanks in advance for the help. :) Any links to notes on similar laplace transforms would be very much appreciated as well! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand what you want to do. The Laplace transform is defined only for functions on the positive real numbers. u(t) is 1 for [tex]0\le t\le 1[/tex], 0 otherwise. So u(-t) is 1 for [tex]-1\le t\le 0[/tex]. Since both of your x(t) is 0 for all positive t, their Laplace transform is 0.

HallsofIvy said:
I don't understand what you want to do. The Laplace transform is defined only for functions on the positive real numbers. u(t) is 1 for [tex]0\le t\le 1[/tex], 0 otherwise. So u(-t) is 1 for [tex]-1\le t\le 0[/tex]. Since both of your x(t) is 0 for all positive t, their Laplace transform is 0.

Thank you so much for your reply Halls of Ivy! It's much appreciated.

The exact question is actually just "Find the Laplace transform of:". I apologize for leaving it out.

So just to confirm, the answers for both questions are actually 0? Seems a little weird that they've give us two questions on the same "concept".

Could it be possible that instead of a unit step function, it could be some sort of shift?

Once again, thank you so much! :)

Icetray said:

The exact question is actually just "Find the Laplace transform of:". I apologize for leaving it out.

So just to confirm, the answers for both questions are actually 0? Seems a little weird that they've give us two questions on the same "concept".

Could it be possible that instead of a unit step function, it could be some sort of shift?

Once again, thank you so much! :)

Careful: the usual definition of the unit step function u(t) is
[tex] u(t) = \left\{ \begin{array}{cl}1 & \text{ if } t \geq 0\\
0 & \text{ if } t < 0.
\end{array} \right. [/tex]
So, as said already, your functions are multiples of u(-t), so are 0 for t >= 0. Thus, their Laplace transforms are zero.

Icetray said:

I agree. I would almost bet there is something missing or misunderstood about notation or transcription here. Have you copied the complete problem exactly, word for word?

LCKurtz said:
I agree. I would almost bet there is something missing or misunderstood about notation or transcription here. Have you copied the complete problem exactly, word for word?

Yups, that's all the question says. Nothing before that and no hints after that. :( I guess I'll just stick to 0 then.

Is it possible though that it could be a shifting problem instead of a unit step function?

What is the Laplace transform of the unit step function?

The Laplace transform of the unit step function, also known as the Heaviside function, is defined as:

L(u(t)) = 1/s, where s is the complex frequency variable. This means that the Laplace transform of the unit step function is equal to 1 divided by s.

What is the significance of the Laplace transform of the unit step function in engineering and mathematics?

The Laplace transform of the unit step function is commonly used in engineering and mathematics to solve differential equations and analyze dynamic systems. It is also used to determine the stability of control systems and to model time-dependent processes.

How is the Laplace transform of the unit step function related to the Dirac delta function?

The Laplace transform of the unit step function is closely related to the Dirac delta function. In fact, the unit step function can be seen as the integral of the Dirac delta function. The Laplace transform of the Dirac delta function is equal to 1, which is consistent with the definition of the unit step function as a function that jumps from 0 to 1 at t=0.

What is the inverse Laplace transform of the unit step function?

The inverse Laplace transform of the unit step function is the function itself, u(t). This means that if we take the Laplace transform of u(t), we will get back the unit step function. This is consistent with the definition of the inverse Laplace transform, which is the process of finding the original function from its Laplace transform.

How does the Laplace transform of the unit step function change with different initial conditions?

The Laplace transform of the unit step function is independent of initial conditions. This means that no matter what the initial conditions of a system are, the Laplace transform of the unit step function will always be 1/s. However, the inverse Laplace transform will be affected by initial conditions, as it is the process of finding the original function from its Laplace transform.