Analytically Solving Bessel Functions for x Giving J_m(x)=0

In summary, there is no analytic solution for finding x when J_m(x)=0, where m is a constant. Mathematica may not be helpful and there will be an infinite number of real roots. For large x, an asymptotic formula for J_n(x) can be used, and the difference between successive roots tends to \pi. Another option is to consult mathematical handbooks for tables of zeros for Bessel functions. However, for smaller values of x, using the table may be necessary.
man@SUT
If we want to find x giving J_m(x)=0 where m=any constants, how can we analytically get x?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you can do that analytically. (from memory)

I also use mathematica to solve but it doesn't help.

You'll have an infinite number of real roots.

For large x, you can use the asymptotic formula for [tex]J_n(x)[/tex]. If I remember right, the difference between successive roots will tend to [itex]\pi[/itex] for large x.

Alternatively, you could look up tables which give the zeros for various Bessel functions in a mathematical handbook

There will be the analytic solution when we assume x -> infinity or x<<1. In the case of the first few values of x giving J_m(x)=0, we might have to use the table to be the last choice. Anyway, thanks mjsd and siddharth.

1. How do I find the roots of Bessel function?

The roots of Bessel function can be found by solving the equation Jn(x) = 0, where Jn(x) is the Bessel function of order n. This can be done using numerical methods such as Newton's method or by using tables of Bessel function zeros.

2. Can Bessel function be graphed?

Yes, Bessel function can be graphed using software such as MATLAB or Wolfram Alpha. The graph will show the shape and behavior of the Bessel function for different values of the order and the argument.

3. How do I evaluate Bessel function at a specific point?

To evaluate Bessel function at a specific point x, you can use a computer program or calculator that has a built-in function for Bessel function. Alternatively, you can use the series expansion or recurrence relations of Bessel function to calculate its value at a specific point.

4. What is the relationship between Bessel function and other special functions?

Bessel function is closely related to other special functions such as Airy function, Hankel function, and modified Bessel function. These functions have similar properties and are often used in solving differential equations in physics and engineering.

5. What are the applications of Bessel function?

Bessel function has many applications in physics and engineering, particularly in solving problems involving wave propagation, heat transfer, and vibration analysis. It is also used in image processing, signal analysis, and other fields of mathematics and science.