Tensor algebra with derivative of the metric

In summary, you are trying to prove that the following relation: A_{\nu} \partial_{\mu} \partial^{\nu} A^{\mu} = A_{\nu} \partial_{\mu} \partial^{\nu} A_{\mu}holds in a curved spacetime.
jmlaniel
I am trying to proove that the following relation:

[tex]A_{\nu}[/tex] [tex]\partial_{\mu}[/tex] [tex]\partial^{\nu}[/tex] [tex]A^{\mu}[/tex] = [tex]A_{\nu}[/tex] [tex]\partial^{\mu}[/tex] [tex]\partial^{\nu}[/tex] [tex]A_{\mu}[/tex]

The only way I found is by setting:

[tex]A_{\nu}[/tex] [tex]\partial_{\mu}[/tex] [tex]\partial^{\nu}[/tex] [tex]A^{\mu}[/tex] = [tex]A_{\nu}[/tex] [tex]\partial_{\mu}[/tex] [tex]\partial^{\nu}[/tex] [tex]g^{\mu \sigma}[/tex] [tex]A_{\sigma}[/tex]

Then by imposing that the metric is the Minkowski metric (all constant), their derivatives are all equal to zero so I can get the metric out of the derivative and get :

[tex]A_{\nu}[/tex] [tex]\partial_{\mu}[/tex] [tex]\partial^{\nu}[/tex] [tex]A^{\mu}[/tex] = [tex]A_{\nu}[/tex] [tex]g^{\mu \sigma}[/tex] [tex]\partial_{\mu}[/tex] [tex]\partial^{\nu}[/tex] [tex]A_{\sigma}[/tex]

Then by contracting the metric with the first derivative and renaming the indices, I can achieve my goal.

My question is the following one : can I achieve this without imposing the Minkowsky metric?

Thank!

Physics news on Phys.org
These are not tensor quantities. To have an expression which does not depend on guv being constant (Minkowski or otherwise) you need to use covariant derivatives instead of partial derivatives.

Are you sure your expression holds in curved spacetime?

It is certainly true that [tex] A_{\nu}\nabla_{\mu}\nabla^{\nu}A^{\mu}=A_{\nu}\nabla^{\mu}\nabla^{\nu}A_{\mu} [/tex] which follows from metric compatability: [tex] \nabla_{\alpha}g^{\mu\nu}=0[/tex]

and I thought by some freak cancellations your expression may hold for a general metric too, but I can't see it after a brief look.

You have contracted out all indices on both sides of your equations, meaning that you have a valid tensor equation( scalar on the LHS and RHS), and since your equation is valid in Minkowski, the comma goes to semi colon rule suggests the generalisation is [tex] A_{\nu}\nabla_{\mu}\nabla^{\nu}A^{\mu}=A_{\nu}\nabla^{\mu}\nabla^{\nu}A_{\mu} [/tex]

Just because all the indices are contracted doesn't mean it's a covariant expression. All he's doing is raising and lowering μ, and to do this he needs to say the derivative of gμν is zero. Which of course it is if covariant derivatives are used instead of partials.

I agree that my title might be misleading on the fact that my particular term is actually not a tensor by definition. It is actually a part of a larger derivation based on tensor algebra. It is actually related to the lagrangian of the electromagnetic field.

I can also confirm that the derivatives in my expression are not covariant derivative (this would simplify my problem).

From what I gather from your comments, I see no other way to impose the Minkowsky metric in order to obtain the desired result.

On the other hand, since this problem is related to electromagnetism, is it directly implied that the metric is a Minkowsky one? Or is it possible to use a different metric in an electromagnetism situation?

Bill_K said:
Just because all the indices are contracted doesn't mean it's a covariant expression. All he's doing is raising and lowering μ, and to do this he needs to say the derivative of gμν is zero. Which of course it is if covariant derivatives are used instead of partials.

I didn't mean to suggest it was a covariant expression, only that it is a tensor equation in Minkowski space where it holds, hence the comma goes to semicolon rule suggests [tex] A_{\nu}\nabla_{\mu}\nabla^{\nu}A^{\mu}=A_{\nu}\nabla^{\mu}\nabla^{\nu}A_{\mu} [/tex] will hold in a general curved space (which it does via met compat). Similar to how [tex] \partial_{\mu}T^{\mu\nu}=0 [/tex] in flat implies [tex] \nabla_{\mu}T^{\mu\nu}=0 [/tex] will hold in curved.

I was then curious to see if since [tex] A_{\nu}\nabla_{\mu}\nabla^{\nu}A^{\mu}=A_{\nu}\nabla^{\mu}\nabla^{\nu}A_{\mu} [/tex] will hold in a general spacetime, maybe when one expanded the covariant derivatives and what not some cancellations happened to occur meaning things just happened to reduce to the OP form, but I couldn't see this.

jmlaniel said:
On the other hand, since this problem is related to electromagnetism, is it directly implied that the metric is a Minkowsky one? Or is it possible to use a different metric in an electromagnetism situation?

It's possible to use metrics with Maxwell's Equations other than the Minkowski's flat spacetime. However, even in flat spacetime, if partial rather than covariant derivatives are used, a given expression will be valid in only one coordinate frame (if the expression is Lorentz covariant, it will be valid in any Lorentz inertial frame, but not in non-inertial frames).

Why not start with [tex]A_{\nu }A^{\mu },^{\nu }_{\mu } = A_{\nu }g_{\sigma \mu }A^{\mu },^{\nu \sigma }[/tex]

I have the felling that we got lost somewhere along the way... I might have been misleading in my in two posts.

I just want to know if my algebra is correct and that I have to assume that the derivative (normal one and not covariant) of the metric must be zero in order to get the metric factor out of the two derivatives. My question is more an algebraic one more than a discussion on covariant derivative or what is a tensor.

Can anyone comment on this?

jmlaniel said:
I have the felling that we got lost somewhere along the way... I might have been misleading in my in two posts.

I just want to know if my algebra is correct and that I have to assume that the derivative (normal one and not covariant) of the metric must be zero in order to get the metric factor out of the two derivatives. My question is more an algebraic one more than a discussion on covariant derivative or what is a tensor.

Can anyone comment on this?

You can only pass the metric through a partial derivative if the derivative of the metric is zero (i.e. flat space). So a priori the relation you posted only holds in flat space.

If one was in a curved space, one can go into a locally inertial frame where your relation holds too, and because in flat space the christoffel symbols vanish and [tex]\partial_{\mu}=\nabla_{\mu} [/tex] one can write the relation as [tex] A_{\nu}\nabla_{\mu}\nabla^{\nu}A^{\mu}=A_{\nu}\nabla^{\mu}\nabla^{\nu}A_{\mu} [/tex], but then this is a tensor relation and holds in any coordinates, so holds for a general spacetime (this is the comma goes to semi colon rule).

So if one is in a curved spacetime the relation to start with is [tex] A_{\nu}\nabla_{\mu}\nabla^{\nu}A^{\mu}=A_{\nu}\nabla^{\mu}\nabla^{\nu}A_{\mu} [/tex]...this only reduces to what you have in the case of a flat space. (My first thought was maybe christoffel and things from this could cancel each other out freakishly and just so happen to the relation with partials hold in general, but I think not)

So in summary, do you have to assume flat space for your relation to hold? yes. Do you have to assume the derivative of metric is zero to pull things out and pass through things in the way your relation assumes? yes.

1. What is tensor algebra with derivative of the metric?

Tensor algebra with derivative of the metric is a mathematical framework used in the field of differential geometry to study the properties of tensors, which are multidimensional arrays that represent geometric quantities. The derivative of the metric refers to the change in the metric tensor, which is a fundamental object in differential geometry that quantifies the distance and angle measurements in a given space.

2. Why is tensor algebra with derivative of the metric important in science?

Tensor algebra with derivative of the metric is important in science because it allows us to describe and analyze complex physical systems, such as in the fields of general relativity and fluid mechanics. It also provides a rigorous mathematical foundation for studying the properties of space and time, which are fundamental concepts in physics.

3. How is tensor algebra with derivative of the metric used in general relativity?

In general relativity, tensor algebra with derivative of the metric is used to describe the curvature of space-time and the gravitational field. The metric tensor is used to calculate the geodesic equations, which describe the paths of particles in a curved space-time. It also plays a crucial role in the Einstein field equations, which relate the curvature of space-time to the energy and matter content of the universe.

4. What are some applications of tensor algebra with derivative of the metric in engineering?

Tensor algebra with derivative of the metric has various applications in engineering, such as in the design of structures that can withstand stress and strain, the analysis of fluid flow in pipes and channels, and the development of computer graphics and image processing techniques. It is also used in the study of elasticity, which is important in fields like material science and mechanical engineering.

5. Are there any limitations to using tensor algebra with derivative of the metric?

While tensor algebra with derivative of the metric is a powerful tool for studying and describing physical systems, it has some limitations. It can become very complex when dealing with higher dimensions and non-Euclidean spaces, making it challenging to apply in certain situations. Additionally, it requires a strong mathematical background and can be time-consuming to calculate. However, many of these limitations can be overcome with the use of computer software and advanced mathematical techniques.