Change Variable: Solving PDE with Variable Transformation

In summary, the conversation is discussing a change in variables in a partial differential equation. The answer is shown to be -df = -deltaf + (delta- r)Sdf+0.5(theta^2)(S^2)d^2f dt dS dX^2. However, there is an error in the reasoning process, specifically in part 4 where the division by S is done twice instead of once. The correct answer should be -df = -deltaf + (delta- r)Sdf+0.5(theta^2)(S^2)d^2f dt dS dX^2. The conversation ends with a request for help in identifying the mistake.
Bazman
Hi,

I have to change the variable in the following eqn, although I know the answer I cannot see how the answer was arrived at:

We start with a p.d.e in F(S,t)

-dF = -rF + (r- delta)SdF+0.5(theta^2)(S^2)d^2F
dt dS dS^2

We then want to change to X=1/S F(S,t)=Sf(X,t)

The answer is:

-df = -deltaf + (delta- r)Sdf+0.5(theta^2)(S^2)d^2f
dt dS dS^2

Now the way I see it:

-dF = -Sdf part 1
dt dt

-rF = -r.S.f not sure how this becomes delta? part 2

(r-delta)SdF=(r-delta)S^2df. dX=(delta-r)S^2df . 1
dS dX dS dX S^2

=(delta-r)df .1 (when you divide through with the S from part 1)
dX S

=(delta-r)df. X part 3
dX

Lastly

.5(theta^2)S^2d^2F=.5(theta^2)S^3d^2 .dX^2
dS^2 dX^2 dS^2

=(.5*theta^2).S^3.d^2f . -2
dX^2 X^3

=theta^2.d^2f .X where the .X comes from dividing through by S from part 1
dX^2

= part 4

Part 4 clearly is wrong but I'm not sure where I've made the mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
The correct answer is:-df = -deltaf + (delta- r)Sdf+0.5(theta^2)(S^2)d^2f dt dS dS^2I'm sorry for the long question, but I'm really stuck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.Your mistake is in part 4. You have divided through by S twice. You should divide through by S once. This should give you the correct answer. The correct answer should be:-df = -deltaf + (delta- r)Sdf+0.5(theta^2)(S^2)d^2f dt dS dX^2

1. What is a variable transformation in the context of solving PDEs?

A variable transformation is a mathematical technique used to simplify the solution of partial differential equations (PDEs) by changing the independent variables in the equation. This is done by substituting new variables in place of the original ones, which can often lead to a simpler form of the equation that is easier to solve.

2. Why is a variable transformation useful in solving PDEs?

A variable transformation can be useful in solving PDEs because it can help to reduce the complexity of the equation, making it easier to solve. It can also help to reveal important properties of the equation, such as symmetries or special solutions, that may not be apparent in its original form.

3. What are some common variable transformations used in solving PDEs?

Some common variable transformations used in solving PDEs include changing to polar or spherical coordinates, using a logarithmic or exponential transformation, or introducing a new variable that is a function of the existing ones. The choice of transformation depends on the specific PDE and the desired simplifications.

4. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using variable transformations in PDE solving?

While variable transformations can be powerful tools in solving PDEs, they do have some limitations. In some cases, the transformed equation may still be difficult to solve or may introduce new complications. Additionally, not all PDEs can be solved using variable transformations, so it is important to carefully consider the applicability of this technique.

5. How do I know when to use a variable transformation in PDE solving?

Deciding when to use a variable transformation in PDE solving depends on the specific equation and the goals of the solution. If the original equation is too complex or does not reveal important properties, a transformation may be helpful. It is also important to consider the difficulty of solving the transformed equation and whether it will ultimately lead to a simpler and more meaningful solution.