Solve "Wires and Currents" Homework w/ Answers

In summary, the current in wire 2 has a magnitude of 2*uo*I1 and is pointing in the opposite direction of the current in wire 1.
candyq27

Homework Statement

Two very long straight wires carry currents perpendicular to the page. Wire 1, which carries a current I1 into the page, passes through the x-axis at x=+a. Wire 2, located at x=-2a, carries an unknown current.
The net field at the origin (x=0), due to the current-carrying wires has a magnitude of B= (2*uo*I1)/(2*pi*a)
a) What is the magnitude and direction of the current in wire 2? Find all possible solutions.
b) For your solution to part (a) for which I2 has the largest magnitude, determine the location of all points on the x-axis, a finite distance from the wires, at which the net magnetic field is zero.

Homework Equations

B=(2*uo*I1)/(2*pi*a)
V=IR
I=Q/t
?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really not sure how to go about doing this problem. I started by doing (uo*I)/(2*pi*a) + B = (2*uo*I1)/(2*pi*a) but then I really don't know where I"m going with it. Please help me work through this. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that B is a vector field. Can you draw the B field at the origin due to the individual fields, (this requires knowledge of what the field depends upon and use of a right hand rule if you will), and then the total field?

At the origin, using the right hand rule knowing that at point a it is pointing into the page, the B would be going to the right I think..?

No. Point your right thumb in the direction of the current (conventional) and your fingers will curl in the direction of the field.

That's what I did. My thumb points into the page so my fingers curl to the right

Now wait, rotate the picture so that your thumb still points in the direction of the current. WHat does this tell you about the field?
As for the second wire, the current, in general, can point into or out of the page. Why not see if both are possible?

robb_ said:
Now wait, rotate the picture so that your thumb still points in the direction of the current. WHat does this tell you about the field?
As for the second wire, the current, in general, can point into or out of the page. Why not see if both are possible?

I'm not sure what the first part means. If i rotate the picture then it can be anywhere.
If the current points into the page the field is going to the right and if it points out of the page the field is going to the left. I don't understand how to tell which direction is the correct direction for the point though.

I am not sure you are picturing the B field from a long current carrying wire correctly.
You used the RHR and saw that your fingers curled to the right, because of the orientation of your hand/arm. If you take your piece of paper with the current drawn into the page and rotate it by 180 and use the RHR again, what do you find? Both answers are correct, if you are using the RHR correctly.

I grab the wire and point my thumb out and the direction of my fingers is the direction of the field, so it is either to the right or to the left depending on which way I turn my thumb.

Maybe you should consult your text for the field around a long current carrying wire. You should have a conceptual picture to think about before you calculate.

1. What is the relationship between wires and currents?

The flow of electric charge through a wire is known as an electric current. Wires are the medium through which electric current can flow. Without wires, there would be no way for electricity to travel and power our devices. Therefore, wires and currents are closely related and dependent on each other.

2. How do I solve problems involving wires and currents?

To solve problems involving wires and currents, you need to have a good understanding of Ohm's Law. This law states that the current (I) through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the voltage (V) across the two points, and inversely proportional to the resistance (R) between them. By using this formula, I = V/R, you can solve for any of the three variables as long as you have the other two.

3. What is the unit of measurement for current?

The unit of measurement for current is the ampere (A). This unit is named after the French mathematician and physicist, André-Marie Ampère, who made significant contributions to the study of electromagnetism. In practical terms, 1 ampere is defined as the amount of current that flows through a conductor when 1 coulomb of charge passes through it in 1 second.

4. How do I calculate the resistance of a wire?

The resistance of a wire can be calculated by using the formula R = ρL/A, where ρ is the resistivity of the material, L is the length of the wire, and A is the cross-sectional area of the wire. The higher the resistivity of the material and the longer the wire, the more resistance it will have. On the other hand, a thicker wire with a larger cross-sectional area will have less resistance.

5. Can the current in a wire be changed?

Yes, the current in a wire can be changed by altering the voltage or resistance. According to Ohm's Law, an increase in voltage will result in a proportional increase in current, while an increase in resistance will result in a decrease in current. Additionally, the type of material used for the wire can also affect its resistance and, therefore, the amount of current that can flow through it.