How to find suitable exercises to practice on (in physics geometry) ?

In summary, the conversation is about the lack of exercises and solutions in advanced textbooks on geometry and topology, specifically in relation to physics. The speaker is looking for recommendations for textbooks with more exercises and solutions, and suggests "Classical Mathematical Physics" by Walter Thirring and "Differential Geometry and Lie Groups for Physicists" by Marian Fecko. The conversation ends with someone asking for help with the same topic.
camel_jockey
I am currently studying geometry and topology (with applications in physics) from the books

T. Frankel "The Geometry of Physics"

and

M. Nakahara "Geometry, topology and physics"

Both these books work pretty fast up to a sophisticated level, and I am lacking in practice. I can easily read the beginning chapters, but then when these concepts and tools are applied in later chapters - I see that I lack familiarity with the details, calculations and intuition with these objects.

So I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to recommend a good source of EXERCISES WITH SOLUTIONS in these fields, aimed at physicists. I am not completely without mathematical competency, so the occasional pure-proof derivations and proof-exercises wouldn't hurt either.

The exercises in these books are quite awful and useless, and lack solutions. SOME examples are worked through in the text, but many of the more basic things (like giving concrete examples of vector fields, pull-backs and diffeomorphisms etc) are ignored. Although I am in general very appreciative of these books, I would like to complement with something that has 1) more exercises 2) easier exercises, of "drill" type and 3) covers many topics.

Many thanks my fellow physicists :D

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure if I know similar textbooks like Nakhara with solutions to its exercises.

But if you want textbooks with solutions in the sepcific topics of differential geometry, GR and QFT, there are textbooks like Maggoire's QFT and some professor from Oxford Springer edition GR (both have solutions and hints to problems in them), and for differential geometry there's the textbook by O'neal (not sure about my spelling).

Most advanced textbooks such as Nakhara's don't include solutions and rarely even hints, it's really rare to find advanced textbook which include solutions.

I suggest "Classical Mathematical Physics" by Walter Thirring.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0387406158/?tag=pfamazon01-20

The book is dense but makes up with the rigor by providing lots of diagrams and examples. It contains problems and solutions to all the problems. Pretty amazing book if you ask me. ^^

You can also try the latter part of "Mathematical Physics: A Modern Introduction to its Foundations" by Sadri Hassani. I'm specifically talking about parts 7 and 8 ("Groups and Manifolds" and "Lie Groups and Their Applications" respectively). The book is laden with end-of-chapter problems that are less sophisticated than Nakahara's.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0387985794/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Goodluck! =)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, thank you so much!

It is true that most books at the level of Nakahara don't have many problems, exercises let alone solutions.

What I was hoping on was that somewhere on the internet there would be a good source from some professors course, some researcher's note or some PDF, or past exam papers with solutions.

Again, thanks a lot!

Hi,

Could you help me with the Geometry ,''the same book'' in case you have found useful Pdf's or may be yours notes.I have started the Geometry this year and it seems exactly as you said.

Thanks in advance

Sara

1. How do I know which exercises are suitable for me to practice on?

In order to find suitable exercises to practice on in physics and geometry, it is important to first assess your current knowledge and skill level in these subjects. This will help you determine what level of difficulty you should be looking for in exercises. You can also consult your textbook or teacher for recommendations on exercises that align with your current learning goals.

2. Where can I find a variety of exercises to practice on in physics and geometry?

There are many resources available for finding exercises to practice on in physics and geometry. Some options include textbooks, online databases, and study guides. You can also ask your teacher or classmates for recommendations or search for practice problems on educational websites.

3. How can I make sure the exercises I am practicing are relevant to what I am learning in class?

One way to ensure that you are practicing relevant exercises is to use materials from your textbook or recommended by your teacher. You can also try to find exercises that cover the same topics or concepts that you are currently studying in class.

4. Is it better to practice on a variety of exercises or focus on one type of exercise at a time?

It is important to have a balance of practicing on different types of exercises and also focusing on specific skills or concepts. This will help you develop a well-rounded understanding of the subject and also improve your problem-solving skills. It is recommended to mix up your practice routine and include a variety of exercises.

5. How often should I practice on exercises in physics and geometry?

The frequency of practicing exercises in physics and geometry will depend on your personal learning style and schedule. However, it is generally recommended to practice regularly, at least a few times a week. Consistent practice will help you retain and improve your skills in these subjects.