Double Integral - Evaluate ∫∫D xy dA

• Thread starter shards5
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary: Do you think you could help me with another question?Sure, I'd be happy to help with another question. Just make sure to provide all the necessary information and equations in the prompt.
shards5

Homework Statement

Evaluate the double integral ∫∫D xy dA where D is the triangular region with vertices (0,0) (6,0) (0,1).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

0 <= x <= -[tex]\frac{1}{6}[/tex]x+1
0 <= x <= 6
the first integral would be the integral from 0 to -1/6x+1 of xy with respect to y
which gives me [tex]\frac{x*y2}{2}[/tex] which I plug in -1/6x + 1 into to get
[tex]\frac{1/36x^3-12x^2+1/36x}{2}[/tex]
Integrating that I got x^4/288 - x^3/72 + x^2/4, which is wrong. I am not sure what I did wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fixed up your LaTeX. Tip: Don't use [ sup] and [ /sup] inside [ tex] tags.
shards5 said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate the double integral ∫∫D xy dA where D is the triangular region with vertices (0,0) (6,0) (0,1).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

0 <= x <= -[tex]\frac{1}{6}[/tex]x+1
0 <= x <= 6
the first integral would be the integral from 0 to -1/6x+1 of xy with respect to y
which gives me [tex]\frac{x*y^2}{2}[/tex] which I plug in -1/6x + 1 into to get
[tex]\frac{1/36x^3-12x^2+1/36x}{2}[/tex]
You should get (1/2)[(1/36)x3 - (1/3)x2 + x]
shards5 said:
Integrating that I got x^4/288 - x^3/72 + x^2/4, which is wrong. I am not sure what I did wrong.

Whoops, I forgot to add in a step. However, when I integrate that I get what I have shown in my question and when I evaluate it on the interval from 0 to 6 I am getting the wrong answer which makes me think that maybe I am doing something else wrong.

There are lots of opportunities for arithmetic mistakes. This is what I got.
[tex](1/2)\int_0^6 (x^3/36 - x^2/3 + x)dx = (1/2)\left.(x^4/144 -x^3/9 + x^2/2)\right|_0^6[/tex]

After evaluating at 6 and 0, I ended up with 3/2.

Oh, I see what I did wrong, I thought that 1/6+1/6 was 1/12. Thanks a lot for checking my work.

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical concept used in calculus to calculate the volume under a surface in two dimensions. It involves integrating a function over a region in the xy-plane.

2. How do you evaluate a double integral?

To evaluate a double integral, you first need to determine the limits of integration, which define the region over which the integral is calculated. Then, you can use various integration techniques, such as using the Fubini's theorem or converting the integral into polar coordinates, to solve for the value of the integral.

3. What does the notation ∫∫D xy dA mean?

The notation ∫∫D xy dA represents a double integral, where D is the region of integration, xy is the integrand, and dA represents the infinitesimal area element. This notation is used to specify the variables being integrated over and the region of integration.

4. What is the significance of the order of integration in a double integral?

The order of integration can affect the ease of computation and the final result of a double integral. In general, it is easier to integrate with respect to the inner variable first, as it reduces the complexity of the integral. However, in some cases, changing the order of integration may result in different values for the integral.

5. What are some real-world applications of double integrals?

Double integrals have various applications in physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to calculate the area, volume, and center of mass of a region, as well as to solve problems involving motion, heat transfer, and probability. They are also used in the calculation of work, electric and magnetic fields, and surface area in three-dimensional space.