How to Integrate sqrt(x^2+1) Using the u-Substitution Method?

• Thread starter subwaybusker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses different approaches for solving the integral \sqrt{x^2+1}, including using integration by parts and substitution. The final result is shown to be x.\sqrt{x^2+1} -\int\frac{1}{2\sqrt(x^2+1)}.2x.x.
subwaybusker

Homework Statement

integral: sqrt(x^2+1)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using x=tan[y], dx=sec^2[y]dy

Integral:
sqrt(tan^2[y]+1)sec^2[y]dy
=sec^3[y]dy
=(tan^2[y]+1)(sec[y])dy
=(tan^2[y]sec[y]+sec[y])dy

and then i was stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
From

[tex]\int sec^3 y dy[/tex]

Write it as

[tex]\int (secy) (sec^2y dy)[/tex]

and then use integration by parts.

I would write sec(y)^3 as dy/cos(y)^3=cos(y)dy/cos(y)^4=cos(y)*dy/(1-sin(y)^2)^2. Putting u=sin(y) that becomes du/(1-u^2)^2. Now use partial fractions.

subwaybusker, Do you know about hyperbolic trig functions? I would let [itex]x=\sinh u[/itex].

Well, my way of approaching this integral would be,
[tex]\int \sqrt{x^2+1} . 1 [/tex]

So, now the above integral can be solved by using integral by parts, try doing it!

P.S: Here,[tex]u=\sqrt{x^2+1} [/tex] and v=1.

psykatic said:
Well, my way of approaching this integral would be,
[tex]\int \sqrt{x^2+1} . 1 [/tex]

So, now the above integral can be solved by using integral by parts, try doing it!

P.S: Here,[tex]u=\sqrt{x^2+1} [/tex] and v=1.

Ok, so after an integration by parts, now you have to integrate x^2/sqrt(x^2+1). How is that a simplification? I think you are doing the parts integration wrong. You need to have u=sqrt(x^2+1) and v=x.

Nope, once you have,
[tex]\int \sqrt{x^2+1}. 1~ =~ x\sqrt{x^2+1}~-~\int \frac{x^2}{\sqrt{x^2+1}}[/tex]

Add and subtract 1 in the numerator, that'll help you, I'd solve it further if you want!

Last edited:
Well, putting back in our differentails, which is a bad idea to forget, and evaluting the trivial integral, our integral I through your method is given by

[tex] I = \frac{(x^2+1)^{\frac{3}{2}}}{3} - I + \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+1}}} dx [/tex]

So Now you have to integrate that last integral, which takes the same substitution as suggested earlier. This method is not the shortest way.

Well, Gibz thanks for making me realize my mistake! There shouldn't have been any integral before [tex] x.\sqrt{x^2+1} [/tex], my bad :sad:

Thats already integrated, going according to the rule it'd be:
[tex]\int u.v=~u\int v -\int \frac{\delta u}{\delta x} \int v [/tex]

so, considering,[tex]
u=\sqrt{x^2+1} [/tex] and v=1,

it'd be
[tex] x.\sqrt{x^2+1} -\int\frac{1}{2\sqrt(x^2+1)}.2x.x[/tex]
where, 2 gets canceled in the numerator and the denominator, and the sum continues..

1. What is the integral of sqrt(a^2+x^2)?

The integral of sqrt(a^2+x^2) is (x*sqrt(a^2+x^2)/2) + (a^2*ln|x+sqrt(a^2+x^2)|/2) + C.

2. How do you solve the integral of sqrt(a^2+x^2)?

To solve the integral of sqrt(a^2+x^2), you can use the substitution method or trigonometric substitution. You can also use the integration by parts method.

3. What is the domain and range of sqrt(a^2+x^2)?

The domain of sqrt(a^2+x^2) is all real numbers, while the range is from 0 to infinity.

4. Can the integral of sqrt(a^2+x^2) be simplified?

Yes, the integral of sqrt(a^2+x^2) can be simplified by using trigonometric identities or completing the square.

5. What is the geometric significance of the integral of sqrt(a^2+x^2)?

The integral of sqrt(a^2+x^2) represents the area under the curve of a circle with radius a. It can also be interpreted as the arc length of a circle with radius a.