Can quasars reactivate within an established galaxy?

In summary, the conversation discusses the occurrence of quasars and whether they are a one off phenomenon during the formation of a galaxy, or if they can be repeatedly produced by a super massive black hole when there is an abundance of matter. The participants mention that quasars typically appear in newly forming galaxies, but could potentially be "reactivated" if enough matter falls into an unstable orbit. They also discuss the possibility of the collision between the Milky Way and Andromeda creating a scenario for a quasar. Some evidence is presented for more recent quasars, suggesting that they are not a one off occurrence and may depend on the availability of dense and abundant matter.
Matt Todd
Is a quasar a one off phenomenon at the inception of a galaxy, or does a super massive black hole produce quasars repeatedly as a by-product when there is too much matter to be absorbed.

Space news on Phys.org
I believe it generally only happens early on, but if something causes a significant amount of matter to fall into an unstable orbit then I see no reason why it can't "reactivate".

Thanks Drakkith. I wonder then if the collision of the Milky Way and Andromeda would create this scenario.

Matt Todd said:
Thanks Drakkith. I wonder then if the collision of the Milky Way and Andromeda would create this scenario.

I guess we just have to wait 4 billion years to find out!

I'll put the kettle on.

To my knowledge almost all, if not all quasar's we have observed thus far have been in vastly distant (and so yes, old newly forming galaxies) so I am inclined to think that if the milky way/andromeda merger had the potential to have a realistic chance of producing a quasar then we would observe more, closer by/newer quasars from other galatic mergers?

EDIT: Though I agree with Drakkith, I can't see why it couldn't happen again if there were a source of enough infalling matter. Don't know of any mechanism or interaction that could cause this though as we don't have any evidence of this ever happening I don't think?

Quasars definitely turn on when galaxies form, but are also believed to turn on when galaxies merge.

Is that a prediction or has there been any observational evidence to lend credence to the belief? And what about in more recent times cosmologically speaking? It wouldn't surprise me I guess if it were mergers taking place in the young universe.

Thanks for the response dude. I am curious about this, 'cause I don't believe any quasars have been found that are anywhere close to recent, so it puzzles me why if mergers like milky-andromeda could form a quasar in today's universe why then are the only observed quasars from many billions of years ago?

Okay, doing a little searching I found this. http://laserstars.org/news/3C405.html Any one know if this story is legitimate? Or have reliable citations for this? I haven't had time yet to read the article, but saw the distance is just over half a billion LY away. I'm curious to learn more about (if it isn't covered in the article) whether this is thought to be as a result of a merger, and if so, what if any properties of the merging galaxies is or could in prinicipal be known.

But from a quick search it seems like there are some more recent quasars than I had thought, so perhaps there really is a chance milky-andromeda could cause one as well. Interesting stuff

TheTechNoir said:
Is that a prediction or has there been any observational evidence to lend credence to the belief?
I honestly don't know enough about galaxy evolution to say for sure. However, I would say that the observation of jets of matter coming from the center of our own Milky Way demonstrate that its black hole has been active in the relatively recent past (cosmologically speaking).

TheTechNoir said:
Okay, doing a little searching I found this. http://laserstars.org/news/3C405.html Any one know if this story is legitimate? Or have reliable citations for this?
The source was linked in the article:
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/bib_query?1994Natur.371..313A

So yes, I'd say pretty reliable.

Okay, so it's looking as though quasars aren't a one off, they seem to depend on availability of matter, dense and abundant matter being the trigger?

Matt Todd said:
Okay, so it's looking as though quasars aren't a one off, they seem to depend on availability of matter, dense and abundant matter being the trigger?

That looks correct to me.

1. Can quasars reactivate after being dormant?

Yes, it is possible for quasars to reactivate within an established galaxy. Quasars are powered by supermassive black holes at the center of galaxies, and they can become dormant when they run out of nearby gas to fuel their activity. However, if more gas is accreted onto the black hole, the quasar can reactivate.

2. How long does it take for a quasar to reactivate?

The reactivation of a quasar can vary in time, and it largely depends on the availability of gas. It could take anywhere from millions to billions of years for a quasar to reactivate within a galaxy.

3. Can a quasar's reactivation affect the surrounding galaxy?

Yes, a quasar's reactivation can have a significant impact on the surrounding galaxy. The energy and radiation emitted by the quasar can affect the galaxy's gas dynamics, star formation, and overall structure.

4. Are there any observable changes when a quasar reactivates?

Yes, there are observable changes when a quasar reactivates. As the quasar becomes active again, it emits intense radiation across the electromagnetic spectrum, which can be detected by telescopes. The galaxy's appearance and characteristics may also change due to the quasar's influence.

5. Can quasars reactivate multiple times within the same galaxy?

Yes, it is possible for quasars to reactivate multiple times within the same galaxy. As long as there is enough gas to fuel the black hole, it can undergo multiple cycles of activity and dormancy. This process can also contribute to the growth and evolution of the galaxy over time.