I don't understand jewelry.

• Thread starter Blahness
  • Start date
In summary, the old man wanted a $5,000 ring for his girlfriend, but the jeweler only had a $40,000 ring available. The old man said he didn't care how the payment was made, and the jeweler called the old man the next morning to say there wasn't any money in the old man's account. The old man said he had a great weekend and that's because he wore a big chain and lots of other "bling".
Blahness
Is it just something rich idiots buy to impress other rich idiots?

Does it actually have a use?

Why do girls love it so much?

How can so much money be transferred because of the looks of some rocks which can easily be imitated for similar, yet hugely cheaper, effects?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if you wear a big chain, and lots of other "bling", you can get laid for it nowadays.

I think that's the purpose.

maybe this story will help...

An older, white haired man walked into a jewelry store one Friday evening
with a beautiful young gal at his side. He told the jeweler he was looking
for a special ring for his girlfriend.

The jeweler looked through his stock and brought out a $5,000 ring and
showed it to him. The old man said, "I don't think you understand, I want
something very special."

At that statement, the jeweler went to his special stock and brought another
ring over.
"Here's a stunning ring at only $40,000," the jeweler said.

The young lady's eyes sparkled and her whole body trembled with excitement.
The old man seeing this said, "We'll take it."

The jeweler asked how payment would be made and the old man stated, "By
check and I know you need to make sure my check is good, so I'll write it
now and you can call the bank Monday to verify the funds. I'll pick the ring
up Monday afternoon," he said.

Monday morning, a very teed-off jeweler phoned the old man. "There's no
money in that account."

"I know." said the old man, "But can you imagine the weekend I had?"

JasonRox said:
Well, if you wear a big chain, and lots of other "bling", you can get laid for it nowadays.
Get out! :eek: Could a third party confirm this valuable information?

And they say physics forums are a waste of time...

Sorry, jewelry on men is a turn off.

I love jewelry. I enjoy looking at the jewelry other women wear, it doesn't have to be mine.

Evo said:
Sorry, jewelry on men is a turn off.
Yeah, I knew that was bunk. No need to implement a men's jewelry exchange network then.

Orefa said:
No need to implement a men's jewelry exchange network then.
:rofl: Hey, in some circles it may be attractive...

I once bought a Claddagh for a girlfriend. Apparently she didn't take it as seriously as I did.

Show of affection, then?

Buy her something useful, like a book(assuming she reads).

If she doesn't read, then... err >_>

Yea, I'm not good with all this "Getting together" stuff, so I think I'll pass for now.

http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/cgi-bin/ggmain.cgi?date=20051028

Last edited by a moderator:
i think jewelry is totally up to the individual. i never thought of myself as super into jewelry, but seeing as I'm wearing 5 bracelets right now (from camp still) and an equal number of anklets and also a woven necklace and a ring on each hand, not to mention my nose ring and that i usually wear earrings... i guess i like it! i don't really wear any expensive jewelry at all, almost all of it is handmade, with the exception of my class ring and nose rings. i just think it looks pretty, or its meaningful. i don't wear it to show off at all. but i guess that's cause I've never had enough money, (or a guy with enough) to buy any worth showing off.

at any rate, i like a certain amount of jewelry on guys. i guess its kinda odd, but i think simple wedding rings look really nice on guys. and some guys look nice with an ear ring. i like hemp jewelry on guys too, or woven jewelry.

Gale said:
at any rate, i like a certain amount of jewelry on guys. i guess its kinda odd, but i think simple wedding rings look really nice on guys. and some guys look nice with an ear ring. i like hemp jewelry on guys too, or woven jewelry.
Me too! I forgot about that, I just kept picturing the 55 year old guy with a pompador hairdo, tight polyester shirt half unbuttoned exposing a very hairy chest and HUGE gold necklaces and medalions, every finger covered with Liberace type rings and heavy bracelets. :bugeye:

My apologies to anyone here that fits that description. :redface:

I think jewelry on women looks very nice. I usually give it as gifts. I stick with gold and diamonds though I don't know enough to know whether the other stuff looks tacky so I go with solitaire earrings and gold necklaces. I tried giving a platinum bracelet one year til I saw the price tag. You got to do something REALLY nice before you get platinum. But I'll give gold for as little as a great kiss goodnight.

its like asking the question why does pieces of paper have value?

I'm not a huge fan or wearer of jewelry. I wear some on special occassions, but it's usually very small...a thin chain with a small pendant type thing. I will sometimes wear a bolder necklace with something like a plain turtleneck (I have a few I've made myself, so are exactly what I like them to be). If I wear a ring, it's usually with a very small stone (I have one that has an opal and a piece of pink coral in it that my great aunt willed to me, which I really like, and is the one I wear most often).

I don't wear earrings. I used to, but they would get tangled in my hair, and nobody could see them anyway. Then I got an infection in one earlobe, so left out the earrings and let the holes close.

As for jewelry on men, I don't really find it attractive, probably because I don't care a lot for flashy jewelry on women either. I prefer if they limit themselves to fancy cufflinks and a nice tie-tack or tie-clip when getting dressed up. A small earring can look cute, but not attractive to me (I think "boyish" when I see an earring).

On the other hand, I do like to just look at jewelry in jewelry cases. Some of it is very pretty and the very expensive stuff is an artform in itself, but it just seems too overdone to actually wear it. I just have more simple tastes.

I have a good bit of jewelry, but for the last year have worn none.

Years ago when the girls were little I went to work part time for a company that bought out bankrupt jewelry stores and bought out "estates". Some of the jewels I handled were awesome. I had to take a gemology course, loved it. I still have my jeweler's loop. I really got into jewelry. I bought a couple of <cough> nice pieces which I never wear because I am afraid something will happen to them.

I'm like a bird, fascinated by all that sparkly stuff. I have to skip the QVC channel so I don't accidently see those jewelry shows. It's like being hit with a stun gun.

Evo said:
I'm like a bird, fascinated by all that sparkly stuff. I have to skip the QVC channel so I don't accidently see those jewelry shows. It's like being hit with a stun gun.
:rofl:

I wear a single ring. I used to wear a stud in my left ear (a Lone Star), back in the 70's and 80's, but I put it aside when I got a job. The nuclear industry is pretty conservative and I already stand out. :biggrin:

I gave up wearing watches because I tended to destroy them. Even Timex can't take the licking my body does. :biggrin:

I only wear two pieces of jewelry. My watch and my Flavor Flav Clock Necklace.

i dunno, some of the jewelry in those cases is a bit much for me. i like really really simple. when i got my engagement ring, it was wide and had a ton of little stones... i really didn't like it very much at all, (hehe, I'm kinda glad i didn't have to wear it... guess some good come of that break up..) i would've much preferred just a simple band with like one inlaid stone. i really hate rings with big stones... they can't even fit in your pockets!

tribdog said:
I only wear two pieces of jewelry. My watch and my Flavor Flav Clock Necklace.

oh that's hot. Flava Flav is the epitome of sexy... look at those sparkling teeth.. mm...

Gale said:
i dunno, some of the jewelry in those cases is a bit much for me. i like really really simple. when i got my engagement ring, it was wide and had a ton of little stones... i really didn't like it very much at all, (hehe, I'm kinda glad i didn't have to wear it... guess some good come of that break up..) i would've much preferred just a simple band with like one inlaid stone. i really hate rings with big stones... they can't even fit in your pockets!
I like simple jewelry also. Often, the most valuable pieces are the least ornate.

I do like opals and turqouise, but really as minearls, not as jewelry. I have some really net stuff, some of which I found.

I have a friend who makes jewelry as a hobby. I'm hoping that I can learn a bit from him and if I ever get married I want to make my wife's wedding ring myself.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I have a friend who makes jewelry as a hobby. I'm hoping that I can learn a bit from him and if I ever get married I want to make my wife's wedding ring myself.
oh, you are such a romantic. ahhhhh.
You are going to make some guy SOOO happy.

Astronuc said:
I do like opals and turqouise, but really as minearls, not as jewelry. I have some really net stuff, some of which I found.
Australian black opal is my favorite stone.

I've done a bit of jewelry making and I've come to one conclusion. It is really easy to get started, but extremely difficult to master. I made a few rings using pre-made wax rings, then bought some wax blanks and tried making my own. My big elaborate plans got smaller and smaller. I started out making a ring that looked like a string and tied into a bow on top then whoops it was a string that tied into a knot, then whoops it was a string then whoops Dammit it was a smooth band. I ended up with two smooth C's

Last edited:
TheStatutoryApe said:
I once bought a Claddagh
Tha'ts my engagment ring!
(My wedding ring is a band with claddagh all over it.)

I got claddagh all over the floor when we did all those tequila shots.

Gale said:
Yes, I agree. Very simple, small stones, plain bands (or brushed on one side). I don't even like diamonds at all. They're rather plain looking. I prefer smooth stones, opal and onyx, over cut gems. Though, I like the color blue, so every once in a while I look at sapphire jewelry, but too often, it's just way too ornate for my tastes. Oh, not in dress-up jewelry, but for something casual where I want to add a little accessory to a plain outfit, I like some of the stuff that is more twisted metal around a stone. Something sort of like in this picture, but not with such a heavy chain (maybe on cord, or flattened silver wire).
http://www.lantanadesignwear.com/images/necklaces/necklace018lg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
you all are strange. I like diamonds, big diamonds. You aren't supposed to put your hands in your pockets. you aren't supposed to have pockets. I like my women in sexy dresses and sparkley jewelry. You look like a million dollars, so why not wear a million dollars as well.
Fantasy date: sexy slinky dress big diamond necklace for dinner and drink(think Pretty Woman and the red dress scene) , long t shirt to bed. Legs always showing
I don't care what she wears

Last edited:
tribdog said:
I've done a bit of jewelry making and I've come to one conclusion. It is really easy to get started, but extremely difficult to master. I made a few rings using pre-made wax rings, then bought some wax blanks and tried making my own. My big elaborate plans got smaller and smaller. I started out making a ring that looked like a string and tied into a bow on top then whoops it was a string that tied into a knot, then whoops it was a string then whoops Dammit it was a smooth band. I ended up with two smooth C's
I wouldn't make anything terribely intricate. And if she (or he) won't accept anything that isn't gaudy and from Tiffany's then I'm not marrying her.:devil:

TheStatutoryApe said:

tribdog said:
oh, you are such a romantic. ahhhhh.
You are going to make some guy SOOO happy.

lol, when does the funniest member voting start

tribdog said:
you all are strange. I like diamonds, big diamonds. You aren't supposed to put your hands in your pockets. you aren't supposed to have pockets. I like my women in sexy dresses and sparkley jewelry. You look like a million dollars, so why not wear a million dollars as well.
Fantasy date: sexy slinky dress big diamond necklace for dinner and drink(think Pretty Woman and the red dress scene) , long t shirt to bed. Legs always showing
I don't care what she wears

well, i guess if i had money or someone willing to spend it on me it'd be different. but if I'm stuck wearing jeans every day, i damned well want my hands to fit in my pockets. now, if i have an entire warddrobe to go with my elaborate jewelry, then i'd be all for it! actually, i guess just so much a fantasy that I've never thought of it much... but now that i am... wow... you'd feel like such a princess if life was like that!

I polish my armor every night and wait for someone to need rescueing.