PLease HELP with this trigonometric equation

In summary, the conversation is about a trigonometric equation that goes from x E [-1,2] and has infinite solutions. The author has concluded that the solutions are xi=(2i-1)/20+Ei, for i=1,2,..., x0=0, and xi=(2i+1)/20+Ei, for i=-1,-2,.... The person is asking for an explanation on how the author obtained these values.
joanmanuelbl
Greetings my friends:
I have been reading a book about optimization and I found the following trigonometric equation:
tan(10x.pi)= - 10 pi x (this equation goes from x E [-1,2]
it is easy to see that has infinite solutions, but the author came to the conclusion that the solutions are:
xi=(2i-1)/20+Ei, for i=1,2,...

x0=0

xi=(2i+1)/20+Ei, for i=-1,-2,...

HOw does he get those probable solutions, please I really need to know... :yuck:

Thank you so much
JoanManuel

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physicsforums.com!

I may just be sleepy, but I can't see why its so obvious that there are an infinite number of solutions...let u=-10 pi x.

we want solutions to tan(-u)=u, or -tan (u)=u. Since u=-10 pi x, and x E [-1,2], u E [-20pi, 10 pi]. It would have an infinite number of solutions if u E all R, but that is not the case.

thank for the reply but I still have doubts

Thank you for the reply, I will put the equation in a better wayat I do not know from where the author obtains the values of xi? :grumpy:
why is it 2i-1/20 or the other way?
Please help me

Last edited:

1. What is a trigonometric equation?

A trigonometric equation is an equation that involves trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These equations are used to solve for unknown angles or sides in a triangle.

2. How do you solve a trigonometric equation?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you need to use the inverse trigonometric functions, such as arcsine, arccosine, and arctangent. These functions allow you to find the angle or side that corresponds to a given trigonometric ratio.

3. What are the common trigonometric identities used in solving equations?

The most commonly used trigonometric identities in solving equations are the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, and sum and difference identities. These identities help simplify trigonometric expressions and equations.

4. What are some tips for solving trigonometric equations?

Some tips for solving trigonometric equations include: identifying the type of equation (e.g. linear, quadratic, etc.), using the appropriate trigonometric identity, checking for extraneous solutions, and using a calculator to check your answers.

5. Can you provide an example of solving a trigonometric equation?

Example: Solve for x in the equation sin(x) = 1/2.

Step 1: Take the inverse sine of both sides to isolate x.

arcsin(sin(x)) = arcsin(1/2)

x = arcsin(1/2) = 30° or π/6 radians.

Step 2: Check for extraneous solutions by plugging x = 30° into the original equation.

sin(30°) = 1/2

0.5 = 0.5

Since the equation holds true, x = 30° is a valid solution.

Therefore, the solution set is x = 30° or π/6 radians.