Proving Zorn's Lemma for Total Order on X: Help Needed

• Thread starter andytoh
  • Start date
In summary, to show that if r partially orders X, then there exists a total order relation m such that m contains r and m totally orders X, we can use Zorn's Lemma and consider the collection of partial ordering relations which contain r. By proving that this collection has a maximal element m, we can then show that X is totally ordered by m. This can be done by constructing a partial ordering s that contains m and relates all elements in X. However, there may be some difficulties in constructing s, and it may be necessary to use some properties of m and r in the construction.
andytoh
Question: Show that if r partially orders X, then there exists a total order relation m such that m contains r and m totally orders X. Hint: Consider the collection of partial ordering relations which contain r and use Zorn’s Lemma.

So far, I've proven that if A is the collection of all partial ordering relations on X which contain r, then A has a maximal element m (where the partial order relation on A is set inclusion). Now I'm stuck trying to prove that X is totally ordered by m.

I first assume that m does not totally order X. Then there exist distinct elements a and b in X such that neither (a,b) nor (b,a) are in m. To get my contradiction, I let

s = m U {(a,b)} U {(a,x),(x,b) | x in X}

and tried to show that s partially orders X, thus contradicting the maximality of m in A. But I can't show that antisymmetry and transitivity is met by s. For example, if (x,a),(a,y) belong to s, there's no reason why (x,y) belongs to s. I've tried other constructions for s, but it only made it worse. Can someone suggest an s that works?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the second one definitely can't be a partial ordering because a and b are assumed to be distinct, but (a,b) and (b,a) are in the set.

Anyway, I think you're going to have to be less sweeping in the other stuff you add to the set (other than (a,b) or (b,a)) because you have to assume that there are at least two elements which aren't related, not that there are only 2. Specifically, the set {(a,x),(b,x),(x,a),(x,b) | x in X} should really only take x that are ordered by m. I don't know if that helps any in proving that it's a partial ordering though. I'm still thinking about it.

As a side note, you could show that there is a partial ordering containing r which does relate a and b. It's more of a constructive proof. But I think the idea is the same either way.

Ok, using some properties of m to construct s is an idea. Also, I haven't been using any properties of r (which m and s contain) in constructing s either. I'll dig into these new ideas.

I'm looking into
s = m U {(a,b)} U {(a,x),(x,b) | (x,a),(a,x),(x,b),(b,x) are in m}

Last edited:
Ok, I think I'm done. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• My Full Solution.pdf
    16 KB · Views: 232
Wait, there's still a problem.

s = m U {(a,b)} U {(a,x),(x,b) | (x,a),(a,x),(x,b),(b,x) are in m}

is simply s = m U {(a,b)} since s contains m.

1. What is Zorn's Lemma and why is it important for total order on X?

Zorn's Lemma is a mathematical theorem that states that in a partially ordered set, if every chain has an upper bound, then the set has a maximal element. It is important for total order on X because it provides a method for proving the existence of maximal elements in a partially ordered set, which is crucial for understanding and analyzing total orders.

2. How does one go about proving Zorn's Lemma for total order on X?

To prove Zorn's Lemma for total order on X, one must first define a partially ordered set, then show that every chain in this set has an upper bound. Next, it must be proven that this upper bound is a maximal element in the set. Finally, it must be shown that this maximal element is unique. This process typically involves using mathematical induction and the axiom of choice.

3. Can Zorn's Lemma be used for any type of partially ordered set?

Yes, Zorn's Lemma can be used for any type of partially ordered set, as long as every chain has an upper bound. This includes both finite and infinite sets.

4. Is Zorn's Lemma a necessary or sufficient condition for proving the existence of maximal elements?

Zorn's Lemma is both necessary and sufficient for proving the existence of maximal elements in a partially ordered set. This means that if Zorn's Lemma holds, then maximal elements are guaranteed to exist. However, if maximal elements exist, it does not necessarily mean that Zorn's Lemma holds.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Zorn's Lemma?

Yes, Zorn's Lemma has several real-world applications in fields such as economics, computer science, and physics. One example is its use in proving the existence of a Nash equilibrium in game theory. It is also used in set theory, topology, and functional analysis to prove the existence of certain mathematical objects.