Motorsport Technolgy Vehicle Analysis.

In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling with math and physics problems and needing help with a set of questions about a rear wheel drive car. The questions involve determining the maximum power available at the back wheels, the theoretical maximum speed on a level road and on a 1 in 4 hill, the maximum tractive force each rear tire can provide, the maximum useable tractive force at 25 mph, wind resistance at 25 mph, and acceleration at 25 mph on level ground and on a 1 in 4 hill. The student also shares equations given for calculating drag and mentions receiving a nudge in the right direction for solving the questions. They also mention sending an email to their tutor for further help.
Adam MK3

Homework Statement

Hi I am new here and really struggle with maths/physics based problems as i have very little experience in them due to studying other subjects at A-Level and now studying Motorsport Tech at uni.

This is the questions we have been set for xmas work.

A rear wheel drive car of mass 2200kg has a rolling resistance of 150 N, a frontal area of 1.6m2, a drag coefficient of 0.30, a transmission loss of 10% and a maximum engine power of 75kW. Assuming that the traction limit for each tyre is equal to the weight that it carries (i.e. the tyre traction coefficient =1) and that 60% of the vehicle weight is on the rear wheels during acceleration,

a) What is the maximum power available at the back wheels?

b) What is its theoretical maximum speed in mph on a level road?

c) What is its theoretical maximum speed in mph up a 1 in 4 hill?

d) What is the maximum tractive force that each of the rear tyres could provide under acceleration before slipping occurs? (NB this is per rear wheel not per axle !)

e) What would be the maximum, useable, tractive force at each of the rear tyres if full power was applied at 25 mph? (hint: is this limited by tyre grip or by engine power?)

f) What would be the wind resistance at 25 mph?

g) What would be the acceleration (in mph/s) at 25 mph on the level?

h) What would be the acceleration (in mph/s) at 25 mph up a 1 in 4 hill?

Take the density of air to be 1.2 Kg/m3 and g = 9.8 m/s2

Homework Equations

Instead of asking for answers to these questions i would just like a nudge in the right direction as i am unsure as to which equations to use as we havnt really been given many yet?

D = 0.5 **V2*Cd*A
where

D is the air resistance (drag) in Newtons
 is the air density (about 1.2Kg/m3 at sea level)
V is velocity in m/s
Cd is the drag coefficient
A is the frontal area of the vehicle in m2

0.5 = 0.6 kg/m3

dont know if that is useful?

The Attempt at a Solution

All my attempts have resulted in a mess so far, for question one i hazard a guess that you just have to remove 10% or do i need to include other factors?

Thanks in advance for any help, This doesn't have to be in until the 12th jan so i have a while to go through it with as much help from you guys as possible

Thankyou

Adam

Physics news on Phys.org
I will update with work i have tried to do as i am giving this as much effort as i can I am just terrible at this sort of work.

Q1. I removed 10% leaving me with power at rear wheels as 67.5 kW or 67500 w

?

Looks correct for Q1.

Welcome to the PF, BTW.

Thanks mate, hope i have posted in correct section etc and not been to cheeky in posting all the questions its just that I've sat here since eight this morning and I am getting frustrated lol

In questions 2 and 3 would you say that "theoretical" means i don't have to include resistance etc?

Anyone?

Adam MK3 said:
In questions 2 and 3 would you say that "theoretical" means i don't have to include resistance etc?

Not sure what they mean by "theoretical" in b) and c). It could be neglecting air resistance and rolling resistance, but you have the tools to calculate those, so I'm not sure. Maybe calculate it both ways (with and without resistance) and label the answers, just to be sure.

ok cheers mate, its a digital answer form were u can only put one answer, so il have to think, I've sent my tutor an email so will wait for his reply! can anyone shed light on equations i might use for the other questions?

Thanks again

Adam

Im not making much progress with this. . .:eek:

Adam MK3 said:
Im not making much progress with this. . .:eek:

What was your tutor's reply to your e-mail?

Hasnt replyed yet, I am only hoping he will soon!

1. What is motorsport technology vehicle analysis?

Motorsport technology vehicle analysis is the process of studying and evaluating the performance, design, and components of a race car in order to improve its speed, efficiency, and reliability. It involves using various techniques and tools to collect data and make informed decisions on how to optimize the vehicle for racing.

2. What types of data are collected during vehicle analysis?

Different types of data can be collected during vehicle analysis, including lap times, speed, acceleration, tire pressure and temperature, engine performance, aerodynamic measurements, and more. These data points are crucial in understanding the strengths and weaknesses of the vehicle and identifying areas for improvement.

3. How is vehicle analysis used in motorsports?

Vehicle analysis plays a critical role in motorsports as it allows engineers and teams to make informed decisions on how to improve the performance of their race cars. By analyzing data and identifying areas for improvement, teams can make changes to the design, setup, or components of the vehicle to optimize its performance on the track.

4. What tools and techniques are used in vehicle analysis?

There are various tools and techniques used in vehicle analysis, including computer-aided design (CAD) software, wind tunnels, data acquisition systems, simulation software, and more. These tools allow engineers to collect and analyze data, simulate different scenarios, and make changes to the vehicle's design or setup to improve its performance.

5. How does vehicle analysis contribute to the overall success of a racing team?

Vehicle analysis is crucial for the success of a racing team as it allows them to constantly improve and optimize their race car. By analyzing data and making informed decisions, teams can make their vehicles faster, more efficient, and more reliable, giving them a competitive edge on the track. This can ultimately lead to more podium finishes and championships for the team.