Question on Elementary Index Notation

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of kronecker deltas and the summation convention in an expression involving A, B, and C. The key rule for these operations is that \varepsilon_{kij}\varepsilon_{klm}\,=\,(\delta_{il}\delta_{jm}\,-\,\delta_{im}\delta_{jl}). The speaker also mentions that the final result cannot depend on the values of j, l, or m.
Void123
I have a question regarding the attached file. How do you get those indicies when you multiply the kronecker deltas with A, B, and C? For instance, C - subscript m remains the same on the left side of the expression, but then becomes C subscript i on the right side.

How does this logically work out? What are the rules for these operations?

Thanks.

Attachments

• kronecker.jpg
    kronecker.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 419
Physics news on Phys.org

[tex]\varepsilon_{kij}\varepsilon_{klm}A_jB_lC_m\,=\,(\delta_{il}\delta_{jm}\,-\,\delta_{im}\delta_{jl})(A_jB_lC_m)\\
=\,A_mB_iC_m\,-\,A_lB_lC_i\,=\,B_iA_mC_m\,-\,C_iA_lB_l\,=\,B_i(\bold{A}\cdot{\bold{C}})\,-\,C_i(\bold{A}\cdot{\bold{B}})[/tex]

The key is [tex]\varepsilon_{kij}\varepsilon_{klm}\,=\,(\delta_{il}\delta_{jm}\,-\,\delta_{im}\delta_{jl})[/tex]

Is that clear?

Last edited:
Do you understand that they are using the "summation convention"? That, since j, l, and m are repeated, there is an implied sum as j, l, and m take on values 1, 2, and 3. The final result cannot depend on j, l, or m.

1. What is elementary index notation?

Elementary index notation is a mathematical notation used to represent numbers in terms of their prime factors. It is commonly used in algebra and number theory to simplify and solve equations.

2. How is elementary index notation written?

In elementary index notation, a number is written as a product of its prime factors raised to their respective exponents. For example, the number 12 can be written as 2^2 x 3^1.

3. How is elementary index notation used in mathematics?

Elementary index notation is used in mathematics to simplify equations, factor numbers, and solve problems related to prime factors and exponents. It is also used to express large numbers in a more compact form.

4. What are the benefits of using elementary index notation?

Using elementary index notation can make it easier to perform calculations and solve problems involving large numbers. It also helps to identify the prime factors of a number and understand its properties.

5. Are there any rules for working with elementary index notation?

Yes, there are a few rules to follow when working with elementary index notation. For example, when multiplying two numbers with the same base, the exponents are added. And when dividing two numbers with the same base, the exponents are subtracted. These rules follow the laws of exponents.