Calculating Plumb Bob Deviation at 35 Degrees North Latitude

In summary, the question is about how much a plumb bob deviates from a radial line at 35 degrees north latitude and the hint suggests using the concept of centripetal acceleration and Newton's 2nd law to solve it. The person asking the question found the abstraction to be challenging but now understands how to approach the problem.
evman150
Ok, here's the one question I can't get on my assignment. I really have no idea where to start.

A plumb bob does not hang exactly along a line directed to the centre of the Earth's rotation. How much does the plumb bob deviate from a radial line at 35 degrees north latitude?

How do I even go about starting this problem?

Any hints or help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Whoops, wrong account, didn't realize I had two accounts. Oh well. Anyways, this is my question. Sorry for having two accounts, when I signed up the email wouldn't send so I just got another account.

Also, there is a "hint" that goes with this question: "You can approximate the apparent weight by the real weight."

I don't know how that helps though.

centripetal acceleration

Here's a hint: If the Earth weren't rotating, the plumb bob would point straight towards the Earth's center. Furthermore the bob would be in equilibrium. But, alas, the Earth rotates. Thus the bob is accelerating towards its axis of rotation. Figure out that acceleration and then apply Newton's 2nd law to find the angle that the bob must hang.

Doc Al said:
Here's a hint: If the Earth weren't rotating, the plumb bob would point straight towards the Earth's center. Furthermore the bob would be in equilibrium. But, alas, the Earth rotates. Thus the bob is accelerating towards its axis of rotation. Figure out that acceleration and then apply Newton's 2nd law to find the angle that the bob must hang.

Beauty. I wouldn't have thought of it like that. I don't really have a problem with this material, but I think the abstraction in this question was just too much.

Thanks.

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path around a fixed point or axis. This motion is characterized by a constant speed and a change in direction, as the object continuously moves in a circular pattern.

2. What are the forces involved in circular motion?

The two main forces involved in circular motion are centripetal force and centrifugal force. Centripetal force, directed towards the center of the circle, is responsible for keeping the object moving along the circular path. Centrifugal force, directed away from the center, is a perceived force that results from the object's inertia wanting to continue moving in a straight line.

3. How is circular motion different from linear motion?

Circular motion and linear motion are different in terms of the path of the object. Linear motion involves movement in a straight line, while circular motion involves movement along a curved path. Additionally, the forces involved in circular motion are different from those in linear motion.

4. What is the relationship between speed and radius in circular motion?

In circular motion, the speed of the object is directly proportional to the radius of the circle. This means that as the radius increases, the speed also increases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation v = ωr, where v is the speed, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the radius.

5. How does circular motion relate to everyday life?

Circular motion is present in many aspects of everyday life. For example, the Earth's rotation around the sun, the movement of a Ferris wheel, and the swinging of a pendulum are all examples of circular motion. Understanding circular motion can also help explain concepts such as gravity and orbits in the solar system.