Good follow up to The theoretical Minimum?

In summary, the speaker is currently self-teaching physics and is using the book "The Theoretical Minimum - What You Need to Know to Start Doing Physics" by Leonard Susskind. They plan to finish the book by mid next week and are looking for a good follow-up book. They are interested in learning quantum physics and are considering "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, accompanied by the third volume of the Feynman Lectures on Physics. They are unsure if the material will be too advanced, but plan to study it in-depth. The speaker is comfortable with calculus but has not studied linear algebra. The other person suggests making sure their math skills are solid before moving onto more advanced texts, and recommends sources
Jonnathan
I'm currently self teaching myself physics and I have never seen physics before this. The book that I'm using is The Theoretical Minimum - What You Need to Know to Start Doing Physics by Leonard Susskind. I plan to be finished with the book by mid next week and my question is what's a good follow up?

I'm extremely interested in quantum physicist and would like to learn it so I'm considering Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by David J. Griffiths and I would learn that accompanied by the third volume from the Feynman Lectures on Physics which I've read has a lot of good information on Quantum physics is that a viable follow up? Or will the material be to advanced for me?

If it's to advanced what would you recommend that I learn before I start on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
How's your math? Do you know calc I, II and III? Do you know linear algebra (not just matrices, but vector spaces and such)?

Are you comfortable with classical mechanics and the Hamiltonian formalism?

One of the later lectures in the book covers Hamiltonians I haven't gotten to that lecture yet but after a quick scan it seems to be pretty detailed I should be pretty comfortable with them by the time I finish that lecture if not I'll study them more in depth. I'm comfortable with calc, but I've never sen linear algebra although I do know vectors.

If you really want to be working through the more advanced texts, it's important that you are comfortable with the previous material at the level where you can solve a good amount of textbook problems. Susskind's book is fine, but I think it might only give an illusion of understanding unless you make sure to work out the exercises and seek out other sources as well. To really learn the material in there, first make sure that your calculus I-III, differential equations and linear algebra skills are damn solid. For this a commonly cited source is Boas' "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences". Then if you already know Newtonian Mechanics, go through Taylor's "Classical Mechanics", focusing on Lagrangians and Hamiltonians, and Zettili's "Quantum Mechanics".

Last edited:

Congratulations on your self-study journey in physics! The Theoretical Minimum by Leonard Susskind is a great resource for beginners and covers a wide range of topics in physics. It's great to hear that you are interested in continuing your studies in quantum physics.

The books you have mentioned, Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by David J. Griffiths and the third volume of the Feynman Lectures on Physics, are both excellent choices for furthering your understanding of quantum mechanics. These books provide a solid foundation for understanding the principles and applications of quantum physics.

However, as with any subject, it's important to have a strong foundation in the basics before diving into more advanced topics. Before starting on these books, I would recommend reviewing and solidifying your understanding of classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. These concepts are crucial for understanding quantum mechanics and will provide a smoother transition into the more complex material.

Additionally, I would also recommend supplementing your studies with online lectures, practice problems, and discussions with other self-taught physicists. This will help reinforce your understanding and provide a platform for asking questions and clarifying any confusing concepts.

Overall, I believe your chosen follow-up books are a great starting point for delving into the world of quantum physics. Just make sure to have a strong foundation in the basics before diving in and don't hesitate to seek additional resources and support. Good luck on your journey!

1. What is "The Theoretical Minimum"?

"The Theoretical Minimum" is a series of textbooks and online lectures created by physicist Leonard Susskind and data engineer George Hrabovsky. It covers the fundamental concepts of classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and special relativity.

2. Is "Good follow up to The Theoretical Minimum" a book or an online course?

"Good follow up to The Theoretical Minimum" is an online course that complements the concepts covered in "The Theoretical Minimum" textbooks. It includes video lectures and problem sets for further understanding and application of the concepts.

3. Who is the target audience for "Good follow up to The Theoretical Minimum"?

The target audience for "Good follow up to The Theoretical Minimum" is anyone who has completed "The Theoretical Minimum" course or has a basic understanding of classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and special relativity. It is suitable for students, researchers, and anyone interested in learning more about these topics.

4. Are there any prerequisites for enrolling in "Good follow up to The Theoretical Minimum"?

Yes, it is recommended to have a basic understanding of the concepts covered in "The Theoretical Minimum" or a similar introductory course in physics. It is also helpful to have a strong background in mathematics, particularly calculus and linear algebra.

5. Can I earn a certificate or academic credit for completing "Good follow up to The Theoretical Minimum"?

No, "Good follow up to The Theoretical Minimum" is not a certified or accredited course. It is designed for self-study and personal enrichment. However, completing the course can help strengthen your understanding of the fundamental concepts and prepare you for further studies in physics.