Baterries in parallel and series

In summary, the conversation discusses the different configurations of batteries in a circuit and how it affects the current and voltage. When connected in parallel, the batteries will supply a total of 12 amps and last longer due to the increased capacitance. When connected in series, the batteries will supply a total of 24 volts and the current will be 12 amps. However, the voltage in a parallel circuit remains the same at 12 volts, while in a series circuit it is doubled to 24 volts.
jonah.seler
Hi.

Lets say I have two batteries{each one has a 12 volts} connected in parallel circuit with a load of 2 ohms.This means,that each battery will force a current of 6A through the circuit and we will have 12 amperes through the circuit.
Is this correct.Does the total amount of amps in the circuit will be 12?

Now what if the battery are connected in series.The the voltage will be 24v ,and with a load of two ohms,the current in the circuit will be 12 amps.So according to this, adding battery in series,increase the current two.The only difference between the two will be in the capacitance.The parallel circuit have two cathodes so it will have more charges, and will last a longer time.Both circuit will have 12 amps, but the parallel will last longer.

I know that I missing something, so if anyone can help... thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If both batteries are in parallel each one supplies 3A making a total of 6A that flows through the load.

The voltage from batteries in parallel is the same. That is, having two 12 volt batteries in parallel only applies 12 volts to the circuit, not 24. So with 2 ohms of resistance you have 6 amps flowing through the circuit, with 3 amps being supplied by each battery.

In series it is the opposite. Two 12 volt batteries in series supply 24 volts to the circuit. So with a load of 2 ohms you have 12 amps flowing through the circuit.

1. What is the difference between batteries in parallel and series?

Batteries in parallel are connected with the positive terminal of one battery to the positive terminal of the other, and the negative terminal of one battery to the negative terminal of the other. This increases the total capacity of the batteries, but the voltage remains the same. Batteries in series are connected with the positive terminal of one battery to the negative terminal of the other, which increases the total voltage of the batteries, but the capacity remains the same.

2. Can I mix batteries in parallel and series?

Yes, it is possible to mix batteries in parallel and series. However, it is important to ensure that all the batteries have the same voltage and capacity to avoid damaging the batteries.

3. How do I calculate the total voltage of batteries in parallel and series?

The total voltage of batteries in parallel is the same as the voltage of one battery. The total voltage of batteries in series is the sum of the voltage of each battery. For example, if four 1.5V batteries are connected in series, the total voltage will be 6V.

4. What happens if one battery in a series or parallel connection dies?

If one battery in a series connection dies, the entire circuit will be affected as the flow of electricity will be interrupted. If one battery in a parallel connection dies, the other batteries will continue to function, but the capacity of the circuit will be reduced.

5. Can I mix different types of batteries in a series or parallel connection?

No, it is not recommended to mix different types of batteries in a series or parallel connection as they may have different capacities and voltages, which can cause damage to the batteries and the circuit. It is important to use batteries that are of the same type, voltage, and capacity in a series or parallel connection.