Solving for the Sides of a Triangle with Given Perimeter and Side Relationships

In summary, the perimeter of a triangle with sides x, y, and s is 14 meters. One side is one meter less than twice the shortest side, and the remaining side is 3 meters longer than the shortest side. By setting up equations and solving for the variables, we can determine that the shortest side is 3 meters, the second side is 6 meters, and the third side is 5 meters. This satisfies the conditions of the problem and gives us the lengths of all three sides of the triangle.
davie08

Homework Statement

The perimeter of a triangle is 14 meters. One of the sides is one meter less than twice the shortest side. If the remaining side is 3 meters longer than the shortest side, what are the lengths of the sides of the triangle?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to start, thanks for all the help and patience everyone lol.

Physics news on Phys.org
okay, let there be two sides x and y, and one side "s" for shortest.

how can you use these variables to write an expression for the perimeter?

"One of the sides is one meter less than twice the shortest side. "

This means 2s=x+1 (I chose x arbitrarily, it could have been y)

"the remaining side is 3 meters longer than the shortest side"

Can you write this equation?

no I am too stupid this is so overwhelming i forgot how hard math was after not doing it for 3 years i won't understand this question so I'll just move on lol. This is for a math readiness course and we've tried to cover about half of the math you learn in high school over a week it's impossible for anyone to handle this unless you just finished it.

Nonsense. You can do this.
The perimeter is the sum of all sides, so x+y+s=14
x=2s-1 so now Put 2s-1 in for x so (2s-1)+y+s=14
The remaining side is 3 meters longer than s so if y was 5 s would be 2, and 5-3=2 (those were just example numbers, but it shows how to write: y-3=s)
So y=s+3
So (2s-1)+(s+3)+s=14
4s=12
s=3
Now since y=s+3, y=6
and since x=2s-1, x=5
now double check, 6+5+3 does equal 14, so those are your sides.

What is a problem solving triangle?

A problem solving triangle is a tool used in scientific research to identify and analyze problems or issues. It involves breaking down a problem into three components: the goal, the constraints, and the resources. By examining these three factors, scientists can develop a systematic plan to solve the problem.

Why is a problem solving triangle important in scientific research?

A problem solving triangle helps scientists approach problems in a structured and logical manner. It allows them to identify the key elements of a problem and develop a clear understanding of the problem before attempting to solve it. This can lead to more effective and efficient problem solving and can also help in identifying any potential limitations or challenges.

How do you use a problem solving triangle?

To use a problem solving triangle, scientists first identify the goal or objective they want to achieve. Then, they consider the constraints or limitations that may impact their ability to reach the goal. Finally, they assess the resources they have available to help them overcome the constraints and achieve the goal.

What are some examples of using a problem solving triangle in scientific research?

A problem solving triangle can be used in various scientific fields, such as biology, chemistry, and physics. For example, a biologist may use a problem solving triangle to identify and address a decline in a species' population. A chemist may use it to develop a new method for synthesizing a compound. A physicist may use it to troubleshoot an issue with a scientific instrument.

Are there any limitations to using a problem solving triangle?

While a problem solving triangle can be a useful tool, it may not be suitable for every problem or situation. It may oversimplify complex problems and may not take into account unexpected variables or outcomes. Additionally, the success of using a problem solving triangle relies on the accuracy of the information and assumptions made about the problem.