Failing Linear Algebra: Worried About Physics Major?

In summary, the individual is worried about failing linear algebra and questions whether they should major in something else besides physics. They are struggling with abstract concepts, study habits, and the textbook. They are also concerned about future physics courses if they are already struggling with linear algebra. They are seeking advice on whether to retake the course or focus on fewer math courses at a time.
kuahji
So I think I'm going to fail linear algebra. Has anyone else ever failed a course? My worry is, is that I also didn't do very well in discrete mathematics. I realize linear algebra is very important, & I'm not exactly sure why I'm doing so poorly. Whether its me not being able to understand the abstract concepts, study habits, textbook (I tend use various textbooks as the one we use I just can't seem to understand very well), etc. Anyway, if its me, should I start to look to major in something else besides physics? I'm doing well in the introductory physics courses, but I'm worried about the higher physics classes if I'm struggling already with linear algebra. Guess I'm just looking for some advice or insight. Don't really need anything sugar coated, as I'd like to now before I get in way over my head. I tutor math/science & I'm not use to not doing well... but then again, I also realize proof based mathematics is a totally different game.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are some of your prerequisite knowledge or concepts to the current Discrete Math or Linear Algebra courses weak? You must know your own mind to answer this. Course credit alone in the prerequisites means nothing.

If you do one or both of the current courses over again, could you learn better or earn a better grade? If yes, then you know what to do. Also, maybe take fewer math courses each term; you have two of them now? (You said, Discrete Math and Linear Algebra, two courses). Sometimes, you just may not have enough time in a semester to learn everything well; repeated exposure over several months helps; more hours spent on less material at a time helps.

You have half a semester left. Don't fail.

1. How important is Linear Algebra for a Physics major?

Linear Algebra is a crucial subject for any Physics major. It forms the foundation for many advanced topics in physics such as quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and mechanics. It is also used extensively in data analysis and modeling, which are essential skills for a physicist.

2. What should I do if I am struggling with Linear Algebra as a Physics major?

If you are struggling with Linear Algebra, it is important to seek help from your professor or a tutor. You can also utilize online resources such as videos, practice problems, and interactive tutorials. It is important to address any difficulties early on, as Linear Algebra builds upon itself and can become more challenging if you fall behind.

3. How can I improve my understanding of Linear Algebra as a Physics major?

To improve your understanding of Linear Algebra, it is important to practice regularly and engage with the material. Make sure to attend lectures, take notes, and actively participate in class discussions. Working through practice problems and seeking help when needed can also greatly enhance your understanding of the subject.

4. What are some real-world applications of Linear Algebra in Physics?

Linear Algebra has numerous applications in physics, including solving systems of equations to model physical systems, analyzing data sets and making predictions, and understanding the behavior of quantum mechanical systems. It is also used in the development of mathematical models for complex physical phenomena.

5. Will struggling with Linear Algebra as a Physics major affect my overall academic success?

While Linear Algebra is an important subject for a Physics major, struggling with it does not necessarily mean that you will not excel in your academic career. It is important to address any difficulties and seek help, but ultimately, your overall success will depend on your dedication, hard work, and understanding of the material in all of your courses.