How do different Lagrangians affect the equations of motion?

• Thread starter UrbanXrisis
  • Start date
In summary, the Euler-Lagrangian equations are the equations of motion for a mechanical system and can be derived from the principle of least action. If the Lagrangian L is changed by adding a total time derivative of a function phi, the equations of motion remain the same. This is shown through the manipulation of the Euler-Lagrangian equations for L and L'. The comma in the notation L ' =L(q_i(t), \dot{q}_i (t) represents the function L being dependent on both q_i and the total time-derivatives of q_i. The delta notation represents a variation in the integral of L with respect to the path function q_i, and the principle of least action states that this variation
UrbanXrisis
Euler-Lagrangian Equations

Let [tex]L=L(q_i(t), \dot{q}_i (t)[/tex] be a Lagrangian of a mechanical system, where [tex]q_i(t) [/tex] and [tex] \dot{q}_i (t) [/tex] are the short hand notations for [tex] q_1(t), q_2(t), . . . q_N(t)[/tex] and [tex] \dot{q}_1(t), \dot{q}_2(t), . . . \dot{q}_N(t)[/tex], respectively.

I need to prove that if [tex] L ' =L+\frac{d \phi}{dt} [/tex], then [tex]L=L(q_i(t), \dot{q}_i (t)[/tex] and [tex]L ' =L(q_i(t), \dot{q}_i (t)[/tex] give the same equations of motion (Euler-Lagrangian equations).

The Euler-Lagrangian equations is [tex] \frac{\partial L}{\partial x_i} - \frac{d}{dt} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}_i }= 0[/tex]

I really have no idea where to begin. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
More generally, the equations of motions are the same up to an added time dependant function in the lagrangian. The proof is as direct as can be... just write the E-L equations for L and L' (and perform the derivatives on L').

[tex] \frac{\partial L}{\partial x_i} - \frac{d}{dt} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}_i }= 0[/tex]

[tex] L ' =L+\frac{d \phi}{dt} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{\partial L}{\partial x_i} + \frac{\partial }{\partial x_i} \frac{d \phi }{dt}- \frac{d}{dt} \left( \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}_i } + \frac{\partial }{\partial \dot{x}_i } \frac{d \phi }{dt} \right)= 0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial }{\partial \dot{x}_i } \frac{d \phi }{dt} = 0 [/tex]

[tex] \frac{\partial L}{\partial x_i} - \frac{d}{dt} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}_i }= 0[/tex]

something like that?

Does [itex] \phi [/itex] depend on the depend on the generalized coodinates & velocities...?

Daniel.

I am told that [tex]\frac{d \phi }{dt}[/tex] is a "total time derivative"

As i know it, the trick is that [itex] \phi=\phi\left(t,q^{i}\right) [/itex].

Therefore

[tex]\frac{d\phi}{dt} =\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial t}+\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial q^{i}} \dot{q}^{i} [/tex].

Daniel.

Dexter is probably right on this, because I checked the definition of "total time derivative" on wiki and it says "a derivative which takes indirect dependencies into account"*

This property of the equ. of motion you're trying to prove is mentioned in the "Landau & Lif****z" on mechanics in the first few pages of the book.*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_time_derivative

frankly, i need some real help. My class has an awful professor and using a very mathematical book that I can't seem to grasp. Before I try to attack this problem, could someone explain to me what exactly the Euler-Lagrangian does? What does it solve for?

Also the notation [tex]L ' =L(q_i(t), \dot{q}_i (t)[/tex]

Why is there a comma between q and q dot? What does the comma symbolize?

Also, could someone please explain [tex]\delta[/tex] notation?

What does it mean when [tex] \frac{dJ}{d \alpha} d \alpha = \delta J[/tex] ?

My whole class seems confused as to what the lectures are about, so I have taken it upon myself to learn the material by myself.

In class today, we were told that [tex] \phi=\phi\left(q_i,\dot{q}_i (t),t\right) [/tex]

dextercioby said:
As i know it, the trick is that [itex] \phi=\phi\left(t,q^{i}\right) [/itex].

Therefore

[tex]\frac{d\phi}{dt} =\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial t}+\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial q^{i}} \dot{q}^{i} [/tex].

Daniel.

What is the significance of this statement dextercioby?

I am sorry for my ignorance, but I am willing to learn.

The Euler-Lagrange equations are the equations of motion for a system which motion is described by the generalized coordinates [itex] q_i [/itex]. They are, so to say, for generalized coordinates what the Newtonian equations are for cartesian coordinates.

[itex] L(q_i(t), \dot q_i(t) ) [/itex] simply means that L ist a function of both q_i and the total time-derivatives [itex] \dot q_i [/itex]- of generalized velocities, so to say.

edit: The Euler-Lagrangian equations can be derived from the "priciple of least action", which you can take as an axiom instead of Newton's equations. From the formulas I think you did this in your course. For an introduction what it's all about I suggest Feynman's Lectures on physics, Volume 2, Chapter 19, after this f.e. Goldstein for a more detailed explanation.

Last edited:
what about [tex]\delta[/tex] notation? and what dextercioby wrote?

If [itex] \Phi(q_i (t), \dot q_i(t),t ) [/itex] the total time derivative becomes
[itex] \frac{d}{dt} \Phi = \sum \limits_i \frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial q_i} \dot q_i + \sum \limits_i \frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial \dot q_i} \ddot q_i + \frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial t}[/itex] (dexter didn't write the sum out but used Einstein convention - sum is taken over i, since i is double).
[itex] \delta [/itex] means the "variation".

For example, [itex] \delta \int \limits L(q_i, \dot q_i, t) dt =0[/itex] means that the integral doesn't change when you change the "pathfunction" q_i over which is integrated a little (just as a function has a maximum or minimum and doesn't change "nearby" when the derivative is zero). This is the "Principle of least action", from which the Euler-Lagrange-equations can be derived.

Last edited:
UrbanXrisis said:

[tex] L ' =L+\frac{d \phi}{dt} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{\partial L}{\partial x_i} + \frac{\partial }{\partial x_i} \frac{d \phi }{dt}- \frac{d}{dt} \left( \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}_i } + \frac{\partial }{\partial \dot{x}_i } \frac{d \phi }{dt} \right)= 0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial }{\partial \dot{x}_i } \frac{d \phi }{dt} = 0 [/tex]

something like that?

was what I did here okay?

Hi...

I don't understand where you got [tex] \left( \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}_i } + \frac{\partial }{\partial \dot{x}_i } \frac{d \phi }{dt} \right)= 0[/tex]. It is supposed to be equal to L right? How is it equal to L?

sorry, I just meant
[tex] \left( \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}_i } + \frac{\partial }{\partial \dot{x}_i } \frac{d \phi }{dt} \right)[/tex],
not the equal to zero part.

Last edited:
UrbanXrisis said:
In class today, we were told that [tex] \phi=\phi\left(q_i,\dot{q}_i (t),t\right) [/tex]

It doesn't work if [itex] \phi [/itex] depends on the generalized velocities.

Daniel.

What are Euler-Lagrangian Equations?

Euler-Lagrangian Equations are a set of mathematical equations used in classical mechanics to describe the motion of a system. They are based on the principle of least action, which states that the path taken by a system between two points in time is the one that minimizes the action, a quantity that combines the system's kinetic and potential energies.

What is the significance of Euler-Lagrangian Equations?

Euler-Lagrangian Equations are significant because they provide a powerful mathematical framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of physical systems. They are widely used in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics to study everything from the motion of particles to the behavior of complex systems.

How are Euler-Lagrangian Equations derived?

Euler-Lagrangian Equations are derived from the principle of least action, which is a fundamental principle in classical mechanics. This principle is based on the idea that a system will follow a path that minimizes the action, which is a quantity that combines the system's kinetic and potential energies. By applying this principle to a system, we can derive the Euler-Lagrangian Equations that describe its motion.

What types of systems can be described using Euler-Lagrangian Equations?

Euler-Lagrangian Equations can be used to describe a wide range of systems, including mechanical systems, such as particles and rigid bodies, as well as electromagnetic and quantum systems. They are particularly useful for studying systems that involve multiple degrees of freedom, which are systems that can move in more than one direction or dimension.

What are some applications of Euler-Lagrangian Equations?

Euler-Lagrangian Equations have numerous applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are used to study the motion of celestial bodies, analyze the behavior of mechanical systems, and design control systems for robots and other machines. They are also used in advanced fields such as quantum mechanics and string theory to study complex systems.