Calculus(I) Problem. find the value of c so that the range is all reals

In summary, when c is between 4/3 and 1 the function between the two distinct asymptotes is discontinuous and does not go through all reals. However, when c is between 1 and 0 the function is continuous and goes through all reals.
eibon

Homework Statement

For what values of the constant c is the range of F(x) (-infinity,+infinity)

F(x) =g(x)/h(x)

g(x)=x^2 +2x +C
h(x)=x^2 + 4x + 3C

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

g(x)=(x+1)^2 +(C-1)
h(x)=(x+2)^2+(3C-4)

h(x)>g(x) for any x less then -c
and g(x) has roots at -2 +-(4-3C)^(1/2) and i think that h(-2 -(4-3C)^(1/2)) >0
so F(x) at (-2 -(4-3C)^(1/2) -a very small number) is +infinity
and F(x) at (-2 -(4-3C)^(1/2) +a very small number) is -infinity

so as long as h(x) has two real roots that are not the same then the range for f(x) is all realsso my problem is to show it with some math and not a graphical way

and i think but can't prove very good that c can be any number less then 4/3, if anyone can help or point me in the right direction that would be great

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
eibon said:
and i think but can't prove very good that c can be any number less then 4/3, if anyone can help or point me in the right direction that would be great

Well what I did was divide the polynomials you'd get it in the form

[tex]F(x)=K +\frac{G(x)}{h(x)}[/tex]

the graph would be discontinuous when the roots of h(x) are real and distinct. This we don't want.

rock.freak667 said:

the graph would be discontinuous when the roots of h(x) are real and distinct. This we don't want.
How are you going to get it to go to [itex]\pm\infty[/itex] then? F(x) goes to 1 asymptotically in either direction.

rock.freak667 said:

The question states that the range must be all reals. You're thinking about the domain.

I'm afraid I can't contribute very much to this problem other than while studying the graphs the answer seems to be 0<c<1 because of the following occurences, which hopefully someone else can explain :smile:
The idea is that we are looking for the function to switch between [itex]+\infty[/itex] and [itex]-\infty[/itex] around a vertical asymptote and continue through all real y till the next asymptote.

For [itex]c> 4/3[/itex], h(x) has no real roots and the range does not exist for [itex]y\leq 1/4[/itex]

[itex]c=4/3[/itex], h(x) has a double root and around the asymptote F(x) is [itex]+\infty[/itex].

[itex]1<c<4/3[/itex] the function between the two distinct asymptotes begins from [itex]-\infty[/itex] and returns back to [itex]-\infty[/itex] without completing the entire range.

[itex]c=1[/itex] we have one of the roots of h(x) being a root of g(x) so it acts like a single asymptote, so we have [itex]y\neq 1[/itex] because of the horizontal asymptote

[itex]0<c<1[/itex] this is the only restriction on c that makes F(x) go from [itex]-\infty[/itex] to [itex]+\infty[/itex] between the two asymptotes. I believe this is the answer.

[itex]c=0[/itex] pretty much the same result as [itex]c=1[/itex]

[itex]c<0[/itex] same as [itex]1<c<4/3[/itex]

I hope this helps at all. I'd be interested to see some mathematical reasoning to show the answer rather than my half-baked attempt to explain it.

1. What is Calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change. It involves the analysis of functions, derivatives, integrals, and limits, and is used to solve complex problems in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics.

2. What is the purpose of finding the value of c in a calculus problem?

The value of c in a calculus problem represents the constant term in a function. It is important to find this value because it helps determine the behavior and characteristics of the function, such as its domain, range, and critical points.

3. How is the value of c found in a calculus problem?

To find the value of c, we need to solve the given calculus problem using various techniques such as differentiation, integration, and solving equations. We can also use graphical methods, such as plotting the function and finding the point where it intersects the x-axis, to determine the value of c.

4. Why is it important for the range to be all reals in a calculus problem?

The range of a function represents all possible output values of the function. In a calculus problem, having a range of all real numbers means that there are no restrictions on the output values, and the function can take on any value. This allows for a more versatile and accurate solution to the problem.

5. What are some real-world applications of finding the value of c in a calculus problem?

Finding the value of c in a calculus problem can be applied in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. For example, in physics, the value of c can represent the speed of light or the acceleration due to gravity. In economics, it can represent the constant rate of growth or decline in a market. In engineering, it can represent the force or pressure exerted on a system.