How High Should the Cable Be Anchored for Equilibrium?

In summary, to find the minimum height h above the pivot for anchoring the cable to the wall, you need to make sure the torque about that point is zero. This means the equation you need is: (Force of sign)(Radius of sign)+(Force of rod)(Radius of rod)-(vertical component of Tension)*distance=0. The vertical component of Tension is equal to the total tension T, and the distance is the length of the rod.
jtulibarri
a 65 kg sign hung centered from a uniform rod of mass 9.8 kg and length 2.3 m. At one end(left) the rod is attached to the wall by a pivot; at the other end(right) it's supported by a cable that can withstand a maximum tension of 760 N. What is the minimum height h above the pivot for anchoring the cable to the wall?

14-49.gif

i need help on setting up an equation to solve...
what i have so far i don't know how wrong or right it is.

(Force of sign)(Radius of sign)+(Force of rod)(Radius of rod)-(Tension)=0
(637N)(1.15m)+(96.04N)(1.15m)-m*g*sin(angle away from wall)=0

? i don't really know exactly where I am going with this

Physics news on Phys.org
jtulibarri said:
(Force of sign)(Radius of sign)+(Force of rod)(Radius of rod)-(Tension)=0
(637N)(1.15m)+(96.04N)(1.15m)-m*g*sin(angle away from wall)=0

? i don't really know exactly where I am going with this

you need the torque about that point to be zero... so you need:

(Force of sign)(Radius of sign)+(Force of rod)(Radius of rod)-(vertical component of Tension)*distance=0

(since horizontal component of tension exerts 0 torque about the pivot)

what is the vertical component of Tension in terms of the total tension T... what is the distance here?

, but I do know that in order to find the minimum height h, we need to consider the forces acting on the rod and sign system. We have the weight of the sign (m*g), the weight of the rod (m*g), and the tension force from the cable. The rod is in equilibrium, meaning that the net force acting on it is equal to zero. This means that the sum of all the forces must be equal to zero.

To start, we can consider the forces acting on the rod. We have the weight of the rod acting downwards, and the tension force from the cable acting upwards. Since the rod is not moving, the net force in the vertical direction must be zero. This means that the tension force must be equal to the weight of the rod.

Next, we can consider the forces acting on the sign. We have the weight of the sign acting downwards, and the force from the rod acting upwards. Again, since the sign is not moving, the net force in the vertical direction must be zero. This means that the force from the rod must be equal to the weight of the sign.

Now, we can use these relationships to set up an equation to solve for the minimum height h. We know that the tension force must be equal to the weight of the rod, which is equal to the weight of the sign. So we can set up the equation:

Tension force = weight of the rod = weight of the sign
760N = (9.8kg)(9.8m/s^2) = (65kg)(9.8m/s^2)

Solving for the minimum height h, we get:

h = (760N)/(65kg)(9.8m/s^2) = 1.15m

So the minimum height above the pivot for anchoring the cable to the wall is 1.15m. This means that the cable should be anchored at a height of 1.15m above the pivot point in order to keep the rod and sign system in equilibrium. I hope this helps! Remember, when solving problems like this, it's important to consider all the forces acting on the system and use the principles of equilibrium to set up and solve equations. Good luck!

What is equilibrium in physics?

Equilibrium in physics refers to a state in which all forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in a constant velocity or no movement at all. It is a key concept in understanding the behavior of objects and systems.

What is the difference between static and dynamic equilibrium?

Static equilibrium occurs when an object or system is at rest, while dynamic equilibrium occurs when an object or system is moving at a constant velocity. In both cases, the forces acting on the object or system are balanced.

How do you calculate equilibrium in physics?

In order to calculate equilibrium, you must first identify all the forces acting on the object or system. Then, you can use equations such as Newton's Second Law and the Principle of Moments to determine the magnitude and direction of the forces in order to achieve equilibrium.

What are some real-world examples of equilibrium?

Some common examples of equilibrium in everyday life include a book sitting on a table, a seesaw with two people of equal weight on each side, and a car traveling at a constant speed on a flat road. In all of these cases, the forces acting on the objects are balanced, resulting in equilibrium.

Why is understanding equilibrium important in physics?

Understanding equilibrium is crucial in physics because it allows us to predict and explain the behavior of objects and systems. It is also the basis for many engineering and design principles, as well as other branches of physics such as thermodynamics and fluid mechanics.