How Are the Failures of Equipartition Theory Linked to Quantum Mechanics?

• Thread starter neelakash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the law of equipartition of energy states that the specific heat of gases should be independent of temperature. However, this is not observed in experiments and is in disagreement with the Rayleigh-Jeans radiation law. Both of these failures can be attributed to the quantization of energy states and angular momentum in quantum mechanics. This leads to a temperature dependence of the specific heat and the derivation of the Rayleigh-Jeans law.
neelakash
The law of equipartion of energy requires that specific heat of gases be independent of the temperature,in disagreement with the experiments.It also leads to Rayleigh-Jeans radiation law,which is also in disagreement with the experiment.What is the relation between the two failures?

What I understand,in both cases,we must take the [tex]\ h [/tex][tex]\nu[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{e^(h\nu/kT)-1}[/tex] whereas the classical equipartition theory assumes kT

Physics news on Phys.org
Plesae bear with the bad LaTeX output.

Hey, no one interested!

I'm not an expert on the subject, but from what I understand, both failures are due to quantization of energy states. The Rayleigh-Jeans law, if I remember correctly, can be derived by realizing that the inside of a blackbody is like an infinite square well and taking into account rules about how an ensemble of bosons behaves.

An ideal gas should have a specific heat of 6/2 kB classically speaking, and this shouldn't be dependent on temperature. The reason is that the average of something that contributes quadratically to the total energy (i.e., [tex]1/2 m v^2_x[/tex], [tex]1/2 I \omega^2[/tex], [tex]1/2 k x^2[/tex], etc.) is always 1/2 kB T. However, in quantum mechanics, the angular momentum contribution to the kinetic energy no longer has the form specified above. I forget what the form is exactly, it's somewhat complicated, but the important part is that, while the average of the classical angular momentum contribution is proportional to T, the average of the quantum mechanical angular momentum contribution is proportional to something else, probably T^4 (yielding a T^3 dependence for the specific heat).

So, to sum it all up, the quantization of energy states in an infinite square well is responsible for the Rayleigh-Jeans law, and the quantization of angular momentum is responsible for the temperature dependence of the specific heat.

I thank you for your reply.But it would be better if you clarify your write up a bit more.

1. What is the principle of equipartition of energy?

The principle of equipartition of energy states that in a thermodynamic system at equilibrium, the total energy is equally distributed among all available degrees of freedom.

2. How does the equipartition principle apply to gases?

In gases, the equipartition principle predicts that the average energy per molecule is equal for all possible forms of energy, such as kinetic energy, potential energy, and rotational and vibrational energy.

3. What is the significance of the equipartition principle in statistical mechanics?

The equipartition principle is a fundamental concept in statistical mechanics as it helps in predicting the behavior of particles in a system and calculating thermodynamic properties such as pressure, temperature, and heat capacity.

4. How does the equipartition principle relate to the law of conservation of energy?

The equipartition principle is an application of the law of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. In a system at equilibrium, the total energy remains constant and is distributed among all degrees of freedom.

5. What are the limitations of the equipartition principle?

The equipartition principle is based on classical mechanics and is not applicable to all systems, such as quantum systems and systems with strong intermolecular forces. It also assumes that all degrees of freedom are equally accessible, which may not be the case in some systems.