Wireless cardbus adapter drivers

In summary, the wireless cardbus adapter drivers are not working for the user. The first step was to try different drivers but they all failed. The second step was to use ndiswrapper which was a complete failure. There is a problem with the device itself because it is recognised in the device manager and also works on XP. The problem may be with the drivers but ndiswrapper is the only way to try and fix it.
coomast
[SOLVED] wireless cardbus adapter drivers

Yesterday I bought a D-link DWA-645 wireless cardbus adapter and having troubles getting the drivers sorted out. My machine is a portable with ubuntu 7.10 on it (dual boot with XP)

I used madwifi but got stuck in the "Loading the MadWifi Module" part of the following link:

http://madwifi.org/wiki/UserDocs/FirstTimeHowTo

It does not seem to do anything. In the next step I get "No such device"

So, I tried to use something different, ndiswrapper. This was a complete failure because after the installation using synaptic I got a complete freezing of my system when I tried to point to the windows driver. A manual reboot was necessary.

I think there is no problem with the device itself, it is recognised in the device manager. Also it works on XP. I assume it is an installation issue of the drivers?

Any help on this is appreciated. Please explain everything in detail because I'm not a linux expert and networks are difficult for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Can you do a
Code:
lspci

In terminal, and post the output? Also what information did ndiswrapper give?

Here's a chart showing which chipsets are compatible with which Operating Systems.

The output of lspci was:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 645xx (rev 11)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS AGP Port (virtual PCI-to-PCI bridge)
00:02.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS963 [MuTIOL Media IO] (rev 25)
00:02.1 SMBus: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS961/2 SMBus Controller
00:02.5 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE]
00:02.6 Modem: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AC'97 Modem Controller (rev a0)
00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AC'97 Sound Controller (rev a0)
00:03.0 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.0 Controller (rev 0f)
00:03.1 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.0 Controller (rev 0f)
00:03.3 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 2.0 Controller
00:04.0 Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet (rev 91)
00:08.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1410 PC card Cardbus Controller (rev 02)
00:09.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB22/A IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M9+ 5C61 [Radeon Mobility 9200 (AGP)] (rev 01)

The installation of ndiswrapper was originally done in a terminal as:
$ sudo m-a a-i ndiswrapper
Updated infos about 1 packages
Getting source for kernel version: 2.6.22-14-generic
Kernel headers available in /usr/src/linux
Creating symlink...
Couldn't create the /usr/src/linux symlink!
apt-get install build-essential
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
build-essential is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded.

Done!
download
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package ndiswrapper-source is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
E: Package ndiswrapper-source has no installation candidate

Updated infos about 1 packages

The error: Couldn't create the /usr/src/linux symlink! seems now to be solved
because I installed it via synaptic after a search on ndisgtk instead of ndiswrapper.

Now in the Windows Wireless Drivers I see that I can load the driver. It states that no hardware is found, after putting the adapter in and restarting windows wireless drivers it sees indeed the hardware. However, the next step is to configure the network and this new window that pops up does not have a wireless network visible.

If I type in a terminal $sudo modprobe ndiswrapper I get a very nasty system hang. I need to shut it down via the hardware button.

Is this OK to start with? Many thanks for your help, I am at the point of throwing the brandnew damn thing (85 euro) away.

I bought a new cardbus adapter, this worked within 10 minutes.

1. What is a wireless cardbus adapter driver?

A wireless cardbus adapter driver is a software program that allows your computer to communicate with and use a wireless cardbus adapter. This type of adapter is used to connect a computer to a wireless network, allowing for wireless internet access.

2. How do I know if I need to update my wireless cardbus adapter driver?

If you are experiencing connectivity issues with your wireless network or if you have recently upgraded your operating system, it is recommended to check for updates to your wireless cardbus adapter driver. You can do this by going to the manufacturer's website or using a driver update software.

3. Can I install a wireless cardbus adapter driver on any computer?

No, wireless cardbus adapter drivers are specific to the type and model of the adapter and the operating system of the computer. Make sure to download the correct driver for your specific adapter and computer.

4. How do I install a wireless cardbus adapter driver?

To install a wireless cardbus adapter driver, you can either use the installation disc that came with the adapter or download the driver from the manufacturer's website. Follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer for a successful installation.

5. What should I do if my wireless cardbus adapter driver is not working?

If your wireless cardbus adapter driver is not working, try reinstalling the driver or updating it to the latest version. You can also try troubleshooting the network connection or contacting the manufacturer for further assistance.