Is a double major in electrical and chemical engineering feasible?

In summary, Ben is considering a double major in electrical engineering and chemical engineering. He is concerned about the amount of time it will take to complete the program and the potential difficulty of the workload. He recommends that students get their first year of undergraduate engineering under their belts before considering a double major.
lax1113
Hi guys,
So I'm going into my senior year at high school. I'm sure that I am interested in Engineering, I love math and physics, and the idea of using math to solve problems as a career sounds great. With that being said, I'm not really sure between electrical and chemical. I like science and chemistry more than computer related stuff, no doubt, but I feel like the things that you can do with an electrical engineering backround could be neat. Anyway, this got me thinking, since engineering requires a lot of math, maybe a double major in electrical/chemical engineering wouldn't be too hard. Then again, maybe it's near impossible. I would like to get done in a similar amount of time, not trying to do a double major, and take 8 years, you know? I am doing a dual enrollment program next year so I will be attending college taking mostly general ed classes, and so far i have gotten 12 credits from AP classes, so by the end of this year, depending on how my other AP's go, i could have around 24general/mathcredits to start at college. Anyway, anyone ever done this? heard of it... think it could happen?

any thoughts please...
Ben

Engineering news on Phys.org
I believe this is called Chemical Process Control. Word of warning though: chemical engineering involves very little actual chemistry (compared to say, an actual chemist). It's more about how to enable the chemistry to happen. Preferably on a large scale in the ton per week/day/second scale.

Also, you may wish to go for a 2-year chemistry after-degree after your EE degree (there's no such thing as an 2 year engineering after degree, well, unless you count a master's, but this alone does not give you the general base of knowledge an EE should have). But ultimately, the route you take depends on what you want to do with these two pieces of parchment.

EDIT: Apparently, in the US, you can do double majors in engineering! Here in Canada, you can't even get two undergraduate engineering degrees--though you can do a "course-based master's" in a different discipline, which gives you specialized knowledge (and sometimes, the general knowledge as well) inside the other discipline.

Last edited:
Be careful of what you are thinking. I would HIGHLY suggest that you get your first year of undergrad under your belt before looking at a double major. An engineering curriculum is a shock to most people let alone tackling two. Your college may have requirements that you can't get into that kind of program until your junior year. My point is to not get too far ahead of yourself. It's good to be thinking this out now, but please don't think anything will be easy.

The double major programs I have seen involved an extra year at school. So it loads you up a bit more plus adds time to graduation. If you think you can afford this then I can not see any kind of double major hurting you.

Like has already been mentioned, a CE is not a chemist. They are responsible for setting up processes and plants that produce the chemicals. My father-in-law was a chem eng for Dow his entire professional life. It is very similar to mechanical engineering in many cases. Take a look around for chemical engineering sites and see what they are talking about. You will see no one is talking about test tubes and bunsen burners.

1. What is a double major in Elec/Chem?

A double major in Elec/Chem is a program of study that allows students to major in both electrical engineering and chemistry. This means that students will take courses in both fields and graduate with two degrees.

2. How long does it take to complete a double major in Elec/Chem?

The time it takes to complete a double major in Elec/Chem varies depending on the specific requirements of the university and the student's course load. On average, it takes between 4-5 years to complete a double major.

3. What are the benefits of pursuing a double major in Elec/Chem?

A double major in Elec/Chem can provide students with a well-rounded education and a diverse skill set. It can also open up more job opportunities in both the engineering and chemistry fields.

4. Is a double major in Elec/Chem difficult?

A double major in Elec/Chem can be challenging as it requires students to balance coursework in two different and complex fields. However, with proper time management and dedication, it is achievable.

5. Can I switch to a double major in Elec/Chem if I am already enrolled in a different major?

It depends on your university's policies and the requirements for the double major. Some universities may allow students to switch to a double major, while others may require students to apply for the program before enrolling. It is best to consult with your academic advisor to determine if switching to a double major in Elec/Chem is feasible for you.