Find the Probability of Winning a Coin Toss Game | GRE Math Practice

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a game where two players take turns flipping a fair coin and the first player to flip a head wins. The probability that the first player wins is calculated using an infinite sum and is found to be 2/3. An alternative approach is also mentioned, but it is not significantly faster and may leave the reader uncertain about the answer. The conversation also mentions that the same question was posted in a different forum.
lhuyvn
Hi members,
I have traveled this forum sometimes, But this is my first question. I hope to get your help so that I can prepare better for my GRE Math test.

Following is my question.

In a game two players take turns tossing a fair coin; the winner is the firt one to toss a head. The probability that the player who makes the first toss wins the game is:
A)1/4
B)1/3
C)1/2
D)2/3
E)3/4

Thanks in advance.
LuuTruongHuy

Physics news on Phys.org
It has to be an advantage to make the first toss, so you can immediately rule out (A), (B), and (C).

Here are the sequences that give the win to the first player:

H
TTH
TTTTH
TTTTTTH
TTTTTTTTH

Just add the probabilities for the sequences above:

Probability of first player winning = (1/2) + (1/2)^3 + (1/2)^5 + ...

The infinite sum works out to 2/3, so (D) is the right answer.

Janitor said:
It has to be an advantage to make the first toss, so you can immediately rule out (A), (B), and (C).

Here are the sequences that give the win to the first player:

H
TTH
TTTTH
TTTTTTH
TTTTTTTTH

Just add the probabilities for the sequences above:

Probability of first player winning = (1/2) + (1/2)^3 + (1/2)^5 + ...

The infinite sum works out to 2/3, so (D) is the right answer.

Also, this sum is clearly smaller than (1/2) + [(1/2)^3 +(1/2)^4 + (1/2)^5 +...]

and the number inside [ ] is clearly (1/2)^2 or 1/4.

So the answer would have to be less that 3/4.

This variation to the approach doesn't save a whole lot of time - maybe half a minute at most - and it may leave you feeling uncertain about picking a choice without seeing any direct evidence for its correctness.

Anyways, just thought I'd drop it in as a useful elimination trick.

Hi

Apparently, the same question was posted in the general math forum...so we replied to it about an hour back. (I've changed the equations a bit though they are essentially the same things).

What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. It is usually expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 represents impossible and 1 represents certain.

What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability is based on actual data collected through experiments or observations.

How do you calculate probability?

To calculate probability, divide the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This can be represented as a fraction, decimal, or percentage.

What is the difference between independent and dependent events?

Independent events are events where the outcome of one event does not affect the outcome of the other. Dependent events are events where the outcome of one event does affect the outcome of the other.

Can probability be greater than 1 or less than 0?

No, probability cannot be greater than 1 or less than 0. If the calculated probability is greater than 1, it means that the event is certain to occur. If the calculated probability is less than 0, it means that the event is impossible to occur.