Does self-study matter when applying to graduate schools?

In summary, the speaker is a junior math major in college who is interested in applying to graduate schools. They have not taken any analysis courses beyond a basic "advanced calculus" sequence, but have self-studied a full year of real analysis. They are concerned that their lack of formal analysis courses may hurt their chances of getting into a graduate school specializing in statistics. They are considering taking two analysis courses as independent study with the consent of an instructor. The speaker also mentions that their university does not offer these courses through the regular curriculum, so they will have to take them as independent study if they choose to do so.
killian
I'm a junior math major in college, and I'd like to apply to some graduate schools when I'm done. If I haven't taken any analysis courses (beyond a basic "advanced calculus" sequence), but I've covered a full year of real analysis on my own, will that make a difference?

I'm thinking of specializing in statistics, and I'll have two years of stats/experimental design courses, but most of my experience with analysis is and will likely be through self-study. Will this hurt my chances of getting into a school?

Physics news on Phys.org
How are you planning to convince them that you've actually learned something from your self-study?

Some universities, have a special section when you can take a course with credit as an independen study? Is this the case with your university as well? If yes, then can you take those two courses in analysis as independent study, since you are saying that you already know the matter, then that wouldn't be too much of aa load adding to the courses you are already taking,would it?

You will only need the consent of an instructor/professor for that. THis is basically, what i am going to have to do, for a couple of courses, since my university does not give them through the regular curriculum.

1. Does self-study count as relevant experience for graduate school?

Yes, self-study can be considered as relevant experience for graduate school, as it shows your dedication and motivation to learn and improve your skills outside of traditional academic settings.

2. Will self-study be enough to get accepted into a graduate program?

It depends on the program and the specific requirements of the school. While self-study can be valuable, it is important to also have a strong academic background and relevant experience in your field of study.

3. How should I document and present my self-study experience in my application?

You can document your self-study experience in your resume or CV, and provide specific examples of what you have learned and how it has helped you in your field of study. You can also include any certificates or online courses you have completed.

4. Can self-study make up for a low GPA in my undergraduate studies?

Self-study can show your determination and drive to improve yourself, but it may not be enough to completely make up for a low GPA. Admissions committees will also consider other factors such as letters of recommendation, personal statements, and relevant experience.

5. Is it better to have self-study in a specific field or a variety of subjects?

It is beneficial to have a mix of both. Self-study in a specific field shows your passion and commitment to that subject, while a variety of subjects can demonstrate your well-roundedness and ability to learn and adapt to different areas of study.