Finding the order of the rate of convergence

In summary, the conversation discusses a class assignment on developing programs for the Fixed Point Method, Newton-Rhapson Method, and Secant Method, as well as a subroutine to compute the order of rate of convergence for each method. The formula for finding the order of convergence is mentioned, and a student is seeking help in understanding how to compute the asymptotic error constant and the rate of convergence. Suggestions are given on using a known problem to approximate the solution and dividing the error by the number of steps to find the rate of convergence. However, there is still some confusion on finding the correct rate of convergence for the Secant Method.
relinquished™
Hello,

Our class was tasked to develop programs for the Fixed Point Method, Newton-Rhapson Method, and the Secant Method, then create a subroutine that could compute the order of the rate of convergence for all the iterative methods. I DO know the orders of rate of convergence of each method, it's just that I can't demonstrate it in Scilab, the program we use in our class (although I also tried to demonstrate it in Matlab)

The Order can be derived from the formula

[itex]
e_{n+1} = C |e_{n}|^q
[/itex]

hence,

[itex]

q= {{\ln(e_{n+1}) - \ln(C) }\over \ln(e_n)}

[/itex]

What I've done so far is create 2 vectors containing iterates. One vector X contains the 1st, 2nd, ... nth iterate, while the other Y contains the 2nd, 3rd, ..., (n+1)th iterate. I then create a new vector E=Y-X which contains the errors in-between successive iterates. This is the part where I'm stuck - I have no clue as to how to compute for the asymptotic error constant (which is the only unknown I need to find q). I'm not even sure if the mathematical framework is correct... is there anything wrong with it?

All help is appreciated

reli~

Physics news on Phys.org
So, basically, you have a recurrence and you want to compute the exponent q from the recurrence.

C should matter less and less as n grows, so you could just set it to be 1 and ignore it. Alternatively, in addition to
[tex]e_{n+1} = C |e_{n}|^q[/tex]
you know
[tex]e_{n} = C |e_{n-1}|^q[/tex]
So dividing the first by the second, you know
[tex]\frac {e_{n+1}}{e_n} = |\frac{e_n}{e_{n-1}}|^q[/tex]

[tex]q = \frac{ln (\frac {e_{n+1}}{e_n})}{ln |\frac{e_n}{e_{n-1}}|}[/tex]

Thanx so much Orthodonist, your suggestion has helped me very well. However, there's a problem about the rate of convergence that comes out when I test the Secant Method. The Secant Method should give an approximate order of 1.618, but it gives me 1! But anyway, thanks for the help. I will see where I went wrong on my own.

Thanx again

reli~

Are you expected to use a formula? Since you are talking about programs to do this, it seems to me that a straight forward way to do this would be to take a problem with a known answer, approximate the solution by each method using a specific number of steps, and then divide the error (|known answer- approximate solution) by the number of steps.

HallsofIvy:

That's the kind of program I've done so far. I'm finding the roots of

[tex]
x^2 - 5x - 6 [/tex]

Of course I know the roots (x=-1, x=6) I've already developed the codes for Newton, Secant and Fixed Point Method. I do know that the order of the rate of convergence, q, for each method is q=2, q= the golden ratio (1.618 blah blah) , and q=1, respectively. As of now, the suggestion made by Orthodonist produces the correct values of q for the Newton and Fixed point, but not for the Secant Method.Sorry for being so clueless, but what does dividing the error by the number of steps produce? Does it result in the asymptotic error constant? I know that the asymptotic error constant is given by

[tex]

\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{ e_{n+1}}{e^{q}_{n} } = C[/tex]
All help is appreciated

reli~

Last edited:
relinquished™ said:
HallsofIvy:

That's the kind of program I've done so far. I'm finding the roots of

[tex]
x^2 - 5x - 6 [/tex]

Of course I know the roots (x=-1, x=6) I've already developed the codes for Newton, Secant and Fixed Point Method. I do know that the order of the rate of convergence, q, for each method is q=2, q= the golden ratio (1.618 blah blah) , and q=1, respectively. As of now, the suggestion made by Orthodonist produces the correct values of q for the Newton and Fixed point, but not for the Secant Method.

Sorry for being so clueless, but what does dividing the error by the number of steps produce? Does it result in the asymptotic error constant?
No, it results in the rate of convergence which is what you wanted. How fast does the sequence converge to the correct answer? How many steps does it take to get close to the correct answer?

I know that the asymptotic error constant is given by

[tex]

\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{ e_{n+1}}{e^{q}_{n} } = C

[/tex]

All help is appreciated

reli~

HallsofIvy said:
No, it results in the rate of convergence which is what you wanted. How fast does the sequence converge to the correct answer? How many steps does it take to get close to the correct answer?

I see... that clears things up a bit... so what can you say about Orthodonist's suggestion on getting the order of the rate of convergence (which I know is q in the formula you quoted)? I mean, in the alternative he gave me, he told me to ignore the value of C, but I know that q could be solved by using

[itex]

q= {{\ln(e_{n+1}) - \ln(C) }\over \ln(e_n)}

[/itex]

I'm sorry if I sound to persistent, it's just that the algorithm I made still gives me an incorrect order q for the Secant method...

Thanks a billion times,

reli~

1. What is the meaning of the rate of convergence in scientific research?

The rate of convergence refers to the speed at which a numerical method or algorithm approaches the exact solution of a problem. It is a measure of how quickly the approximations produced by the method converge to the true solution.

2. How is the order of convergence determined?

The order of convergence is determined by analyzing the rate at which the error decreases as the number of iterations or steps in the method increases. It is typically expressed as a power of the error, such as O(h^p), where p is the order of convergence.

3. What is the significance of finding the order of convergence?

Finding the order of convergence allows researchers to compare the efficiency and accuracy of different numerical methods for solving a particular problem. It also helps in determining the ideal number of iterations needed to achieve a desired level of accuracy.

4. How is the rate of convergence related to the convergence criteria of a method?

The rate of convergence is directly related to the convergence criteria of a method. A higher order of convergence means that the method will reach the desired level of accuracy in fewer iterations, making it more efficient and faster to converge.

5. Can the rate of convergence be improved?

Yes, the rate of convergence can be improved by using more sophisticated numerical methods or by adjusting the parameters of the method. However, a higher rate of convergence often comes at the cost of increased computational complexity.