Is the BCS Theory Still Relevant in Modern Superconductivity Research?

In summary, this conversation covers a variety of topics related to superconductivity, including a historical look back at the 1957 BCS Theory of Superconductivity paper, concerns about the end of research in high temperature superconductivity, and a humorous discussion about analogies used to explain the concept. The conversation also includes links to various articles and websites discussing superconductivity and its applications.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
This is a historical look back at the landmark 1957 BCS Theory of Superconductivity paper. Don't miss it.

http://focus.aps.org/story/v18/st8

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't ever do that again! You nearly gave me a heart attack with that title. :grumpy: Phew!

Gokul43201 said:
Don't ever do that again! You nearly gave me a heart attack with that title. :grumpy: Phew!

Hahahahaha!

Zz.

Oh yeah, I read that. It's amazing how they think statistics like that have any meaning. It's the same thing a few years ago when someone looked at the statistics of the number of publications in Phys. Rev. B and extrapolate that it will grow faster than the speed of light in 10 years.

Zz.

Eeeeww.. there are better ways at describing superconductivity. This one isn't it.

Zz.

I know all about superconductors.org. I didn't just fall off the back of a truck. But just because they are a "bona fide" group, doesn't mean they do everything well. It also doesn't help that you pick and choose things that poorly illustrate things and go around advertizing them.

Zz.

I was rather struck by the dance floor analogy, Zapper. There was also one in the article you posted:

He later compared the concept to the Frug, a popular dance at the time, where dance partners could be far apart on the dance floor, separated by many other dancers, yet remain a pair.

It made me think of a barn dance as a regimented, formal, cold temperature situation. Whereas a disco is a high temperature situation. I went to a wedding in France where they had a disco. They all seemed keen on rock, effortlessly swinging around. Maybe there's an insight in there somewhere.

Last edited:

1. What is superconductivity?

Superconductivity is a phenomenon where certain materials exhibit zero electrical resistance and expel magnetic fields at very low temperatures.

2. How does superconductivity occur?

Superconductivity occurs when electrons in a material form pairs and move through the material without resistance, called Cooper pairs. This happens when the material is cooled below its critical temperature.

3. What are the practical applications of superconductivity?

Superconductivity has a variety of applications, including in medical imaging, energy storage, transportation, and scientific research. It can also be used to create powerful electromagnets for use in MRI machines and particle accelerators.

4. What are the challenges in achieving superconductivity at room temperature?

Currently, superconductivity only occurs at extremely low temperatures, which makes it difficult to use in everyday applications. Scientists are working on finding new materials and techniques to achieve superconductivity at higher temperatures, but it is a complex and challenging process.

5. How does superconductivity contribute to the field of quantum mechanics?

Superconductivity is a macroscopic manifestation of quantum mechanics, providing evidence for the quantum nature of matter. It also allows for the study and manipulation of quantum phenomena, such as entanglement and coherence, on a larger scale.