How does or does not BCS theory explain Meissner's Effect?

In summary, BCS argued that Meissner's effect is a consequence of energy gap, and from my understanding energy gap is the energy required to break Cooper's pairs.
calvinjhfeng
I am reading through BCS's original paper from 1957 on PhysReview. It is very difficult for me to actually understand every word it says, I am unfamiliar with most terminology the paper mentioned. However I know most of the very basic mechanism of this theory. I understand how superconductivity came to form but I just still find it unclear with the Meissner's effect.

I am not sure if I have misread it or it just does not explain Meissner's effect explicitly.

I think what B. C. S. are arguing is that Meissner's effect is a consequence of energy gap, and from my understanding energy gap is the energy required to break Cooper's pairs.
So why is Meissner's effect a consequence of energy gap? or somehow related to it?

Does it give lower energy to the system when magnetic field isn't penetrated through the system?

Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
That was one of significant paper exciting everyone in the field of superconductor.

In history of superconductor,"two current" model (Normal current and superconducting one) was first proposed by London brothers, explaining such zero-resistance conducting phenomenon. Company with Electromagnetism theory, it could also explain Meissner's effect.

However, people had no idea about how the superconducting current was generated. A possible process was considered to be electron-phonon coupling. Bardeen et al put forward the idea and suceeded to explain the formation of superconducting current in Type-I superconductor.

That's kind of a tricky question. BCS theory only describes correctly the ground state of a system which does not interact with the electromagnetic field, but fails to describe coupling to the electromagentic field. This immediately spurred attempts to explain the Meissner Ochsenfeld effect. Nevertheless this took several years and lead to further important theoretical insights i.e. spontaneous symmetry breaking, the Goldstone theorem and the Higgs mechanism.
An nice introduction is the Nobel lecture of Nambu:
http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/2008/nambu_lecture.pdf

In my knowledge, BCS did make a deep prediction in the situation of the weak electromagnetic field of type-I superconductor. Please refer to the book <theory of superconductivity> written by J. R. Schrieffer, who is the third person in BCS theory.

Surely spontaneous symmetry breaking and other theories are important and have been put forward in the frontier of this field. But note that they are prepared for type-II superconductor.

Very interesting is also the article by Weinberg:
Superconductivity for Particular Theorists
Steven Weinberg
Prog. Theor. Phys. Suppl. 86 (1986) 43

OK, I'm not understanding the issue being discussed here in this thread. I think there's something that has been seriously missed.

1. The London equation describes the Meissner effect.

2. Wouldn't it be sufficient to show that the BCS theory can derive the London equation? I thought this was done in the BCS paper? If not, Tinkham shows this rather clearly in his classic text.

So I don't get it. What did I miss here?

Zz.

1. What is BCS theory?

BCS theory is a widely accepted explanation for superconductivity, which is the phenomenon of zero electrical resistance and perfect conductivity in certain materials at very low temperatures. It was proposed in 1957 by John Bardeen, Leon Cooper, and John Schrieffer, and is named after their last names.

2. How does BCS theory explain Meissner's Effect?

Meissner's Effect is the complete expulsion of magnetic field from the interior of a superconductor when it is cooled below its critical temperature. BCS theory explains this effect by stating that at low temperatures, electrons in a superconductor form pairs called Cooper pairs, which behave like bosons instead of fermions. These bosonic Cooper pairs can then condense into a single quantum state, allowing them to move freely without resistance and expel magnetic fields from the interior of the superconductor.

3. Does BCS theory fully explain Meissner's Effect?

Yes, BCS theory provides a complete and satisfactory explanation for Meissner's Effect. It accurately predicts the critical temperature at which a material will exhibit superconductivity and explains the mechanism behind the expulsion of magnetic fields from the interior of a superconductor.

4. Are there any limitations to BCS theory's explanation of Meissner's Effect?

While BCS theory is widely accepted and has been successful in explaining many aspects of superconductivity, it does have some limitations. For example, it fails to fully explain high-temperature superconductivity, which occurs at temperatures much higher than predicted by BCS theory. Additionally, BCS theory does not take into account the effects of impurities and defects in the material, which can also impact the behavior of superconductors.

5. Are there any alternative theories to explain Meissner's Effect?

Yes, there are some alternative theories that have been proposed to explain Meissner's Effect, such as the Ginzburg-Landau theory and the London theory. These theories offer different explanations for superconductivity and have their own strengths and limitations. However, BCS theory remains the most widely accepted and successful explanation for Meissner's Effect and superconductivity in general.