Keep Cool in Summer: AC + 3 Portable Fans

• Thread starter JimmyJockstrap
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cool Summer
In summary, using an air conditioner in combination with portable fans is the most efficient way to stay cool. Modern portable fans do not add significant heat to the room and using them with an air conditioner will keep you the coolest. Leaving a fridge door open will warm up a room as it moves heat from one coil to another. In humid conditions, using a fan with an air conditioner is more efficient at cooling than just using the air conditioner alone.
JimmyJockstrap
I have an air conditioner running and also 3 powerful portable fans on me

at 12 oclock, 4 oclock and 8 oclock 3 ways if u know what i mean.

Do these portable fans add too much extra heat into the room to make them inefficient and an air conditioner on its own more efficient?

Physics news on Phys.org
Somewhere I heard that a fan alone vs. an air conditioner (with the same ft3/min capacity?) uses an average 1% of the electricity that the latter does.

Is the electricity used comparable to the amount of heat a fan produces?

like the analogy of leaving the fridge door open and the the room gets hotter.

Most modern portable room fans are efficient enough that they will not add significant heat to the room. Using the fans plus the air conditioner will keep you the coolest.

Leaving a fridge door open surely can't make your room hotter...doesnt a fridge make air inside of it as cool as the amount of air heated up round the back of one q(system)=q(surroundings)

Yes, a fridge will heat up a room. If you want it to cool the room, build it into the wall so the heat exchanger coils project out into someone else's room.

Mwhaha the perfect crime :)

I'm having deja vu - I think we had this precise question within the past month and the same people answered it the same way!

AbedeuS said:
Leaving a fridge door open surely can't make your room hotter...doesnt a fridge make air inside of it as cool as the amount of air heated up round the back of one q(system)=q(surroundings)
A fridge or air conditioner moves a certain amount of heat from one coil to another. To do that, it uses a compressor which adds some heat to the refrigerant, making the hot coil hotter than the cold coil is cold. In other words, yes, leaving your fridge door open will warm up your house.

my dad says fridges don't cool they just suck the hot air out of the fridge through coils

If i have fan 1 metre in front of me and 1 metre behind me will they repel each other or will they still cool me?

JimmyJockstrap said:
If i have fan 1 metre in front of me and 1 metre behind me will they repel each other or will they still cool me?

Try it. Tell us what you learn.

If you have a fan blowing on you and the humidity is 100%, it does no good at all. If you run the A/C, it will cool the air and remove humidity. Removing the humidity makes the fan cool you off by evaporation. I think you can turn the A/C up a little higher and have a fan blowing on you. This is more efficient than just turning the A/C down.

From personal experience: I can turn the A/C to about 72 degrees and feel comfortable, or I can turn the A/C to 75 degrees with a fan blowing on me and feel about the same comfort.
Texas is hot, and it all about getting rid of the humidity. Fans work great if you can get the humidity down...

Related to Keep Cool in Summer: AC + 3 Portable Fans

1. How does an air conditioner work to keep a room cool?

Air conditioners work by using a compressor and refrigerant to transfer heat from inside a room to the outside. The compressor compresses the refrigerant, causing it to become a high-pressure, hot gas. This gas then passes through a series of coils and fins where it releases heat and condenses into a liquid. The liquid refrigerant then travels through an expansion valve, which causes it to evaporate and absorb heat from the room, cooling the air. The cool air is then blown back into the room, while the hot gas is sent outside to be cooled and condensed again.

2. How can I make my air conditioner more energy-efficient?

To make your air conditioner more energy-efficient, you can:

• Keep the filter clean to improve air flow
  • Install a programmable thermostat to control the temperature
  • Use ceiling fans to circulate cool air
  • Close curtains or blinds to keep out the sun
  • Keep doors and windows closed to prevent cool air from escaping
  • Use a fan to supplement your air conditioner, reducing the workload on the AC unit

3. Are there any health risks associated with using an air conditioner?

While air conditioners themselves do not pose any major health risks, they can contribute to certain health issues if not properly maintained. For example, dirty air filters can lead to poor air quality and aggravate allergies or respiratory problems. Additionally, if an air conditioner is not regularly cleaned, it can become a breeding ground for bacteria and mold. To prevent these issues, it is important to regularly clean and maintain your air conditioner.

4. Are portable fans effective in cooling a room?

Portable fans can be effective in cooling a room, but their effectiveness depends on a few factors. For one, they are most effective when used in conjunction with an air conditioner. The fan can help circulate the cool air produced by the AC, making the room feel cooler. Additionally, the size and power of the fan will also play a role in its effectiveness. A larger, more powerful fan will be able to move more air and provide a greater cooling effect.

5. How often should I clean my air conditioner?

It is recommended to clean your air conditioner at least once a year, preferably before the start of the summer season. This includes cleaning or replacing the filter, as well as cleaning the coils and fins. However, if you notice any decrease in performance or unusual smells coming from your AC unit, it may be necessary to clean it more frequently. Additionally, regular maintenance by a professional can help keep your air conditioner running efficiently and prevent any potential health risks.