Find the Best Fan or Propeller for Efficient Cooling in a 3 1/2" Device

• Thread starter ieagroup2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Choice Fan
In summary, the individual needs to select a fan or drone propeller combination that can provide 12cfm of fresh air at a velocity of 4000fpm into a 3/4" tube with a reducing funnel ratio of 15:1. A 90mm PC fan or a 60mm fan could be options, but a centrifugal blower may be necessary for higher pressure applications. It is recommended to use a hot-wire anemometer for accurate flow measurement. Sources such as Digikey, Newark, and Mouser can be used to find suitable fans or blowers.
ieagroup2
TL;DR Summary
Required air for cooling
I have space in a device about 3 1/2" across and need to get 12cfm of fresh air from this area via a reducing funnel with a ration of 15:1, into a 3/4" tube requiring cooling air inside it at a velocity of 4000fpm. How do I select a fan or drone propeller combination that will do this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you have space for a 3 1/2" x 3 1/2" footprint (as opposed to a circular footprint? wasn't clear there), then you could get a 90mm PC fan and file down the sides until it fit (it's only 1mm oversize). If that's too much flow (if that even matters for your application), you can wire a resistor in series with the fan to reduce the power output.

If you meant 3 1/2" circular footprint, then try a 60mm fan.

The fan specifications usually include a flow rate in cfm.

If it was me, I would just buy an extra powerful fan and throttle it with different resistors until I saw 12cfm on the other side of the reducer. Ignoring turbulence, just basic Bernoulli equation says you'd only have to fight 260Pa of back-pressure which is chump change, so one of these PC fans (espeically a 90mm) should be plenty of oomph. If you reaaaaaally need it to be 12cfm as opposed to "good enough" (which I strongly recommend if possible), you would need a hot-wire anemometer for flow measurement.

You will need more than a muffin fan. A velocity of 4000 FPM has a velocity pressure of 1.0 in w.c. (inches of water). If your 3/4" tube is short, the fan needs to be rated for 12 CFM at 1.0 inches of water pressure. A long tube, especially if it has bends, will need more pressure. That will require a centrifugal blower, not a fan.

Here is a possibility: https://orionfans.com/productFiles/datasheet/OAB908AN.pdf. I'm sure that there are other fans available that will meet your needs. This is just the first one that I found on a quick search. Digikey, Newark, and Mouser are the first sources I would look into. There are other sources, these are just the ones off the top of my head.

• Informative
Likes berkeman, russ_watters and Twigg
@jrmichler is right. I had no idea fans were that finnicky to back-pressure, but if it takes this blower 60W to maintain 20 CFM at 260Pa (about one inch H2O) then there's no way a PC fan will do anything close to 12 CFM. My bad.

Likes berkeman

What is the purpose of finding the best fan or propeller for efficient cooling in a 3 1/2" device?

The purpose of finding the best fan or propeller for efficient cooling in a 3 1/2" device is to ensure that the device does not overheat and malfunction. This is especially important for electronic devices that generate a lot of heat during operation.

What factors should be considered when selecting a fan or propeller for efficient cooling?

Some factors to consider when selecting a fan or propeller for efficient cooling include the size and shape of the device, the amount of heat it generates, the available space for the fan or propeller, and the required air flow rate for effective cooling.

What are the different types of fans or propellers that can be used for efficient cooling in a 3 1/2" device?

There are several types of fans or propellers that can be used for efficient cooling in a 3 1/2" device, including axial fans, centrifugal fans, and cross-flow fans. Each type has its own advantages and may be more suitable for certain devices.

How can I determine the best fan or propeller for my specific device?

The best way to determine the best fan or propeller for your specific device is to consult with an expert or conduct thorough research on the specifications and cooling requirements of your device. You may also consider testing different options to see which one provides the most efficient cooling.

Is it important to regularly maintain and replace the fan or propeller in a 3 1/2" device?

Yes, it is important to regularly maintain and replace the fan or propeller in a 3 1/2" device to ensure efficient cooling and prevent potential malfunctions. Over time, fans and propellers may accumulate dust and debris, which can hinder their performance and reduce their lifespan.