Finding Values of p for Convergence: (-1)^(n-1)/ n^p

In summary, the conversation is discussing the values of p for which the series (-1)^(n-1)/(n)^p converges. It is determined that p must be greater than 1 for the series to converge. The attempt at a solution involves finding the value of p and it is suggested that p should be greater than 1 because it is a p-series. However, it is clarified that only a part of the equation is a p-series, not the entire series.
remaan

Homework Statement

For what values of p is the series con.
(-1)^ (n-1)/ (n)^(p)

Homework Equations

In order for a p series to converge, p should be greater than 1

The Attempt at a Solution

So an = 1/ n^p

and p > 1

Is that right ?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're making so many abbreviations and omissions that it's hard to tell what you're thinking -- I think you even confused yourself because of it. Try again, but this time say what you're doing, and why.

I don't think so,, the only abbreviation is Con. which means Convergent

** Am trying to find the valu of p for which the series will converge

What I thought about is : becauce it 's a p-series , then p should be P greater than 1 ?

What do you think ??

remaan said:
becauce it 's a p-series
No it's not.

So, give a hint? !

Oh, you I mean this part is a p- series, the one I considered as an

1. What is the purpose of finding the value of p for convergence in the expression (-1)^(n-1)/ n^p?

The purpose of finding the value of p for convergence is to determine the range of values for p that will result in the expression converging, or approaching a specific value, as n approaches infinity. This allows us to determine the conditions under which the expression is considered "well-behaved" or "convergent".

2. How do you find the value of p for convergence in the expression (-1)^(n-1)/ n^p?

To find the value of p for convergence, we can use the ratio test. This involves taking the limit as n approaches infinity of the absolute value of the ratio of the (n+1)th term to the nth term of the expression. If this limit is less than 1, the expression is convergent. By solving for p, we can determine the values for which this condition holds.

3. What is the significance of the alternating sign (-1)^(n-1) in the expression (-1)^(n-1)/ n^p?

The alternating sign (-1)^(n-1) indicates that the terms in the expression alternate between positive and negative values. This indicates that the expression is an alternating series, which has a specific set of convergence criteria that must be met in order for it to converge.

4. Can the value of p for convergence be negative?

Yes, the value of p for convergence can be negative. This means that the expression will converge for all values of n, regardless of the sign of (-1)^(n-1). However, there are certain criteria that must be met in order for the expression to converge for negative values of p.

5. Are there any other methods for finding the value of p for convergence besides the ratio test?

Yes, there are other methods such as the root test and the integral test. However, for the expression (-1)^(n-1)/ n^p, the ratio test is the most commonly used method for determining the values of p for convergence.