Merseinne Primes: Question from a Maths Dunce

• Thread starter Canute
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Primes
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of different formulas (2^x - 1 and 6n+/-1) to search for Mersenne primes. The reason for using 2^x - 1 is because it can easily determine if a number is prime or not without factoring, as long as the exponent is also prime. The conversation also mentions the GIMPS project, which searches for Mersenne primes, and provides a link for more information. It also explains the simple test for determining Mersenne primes and mentions Sophia Germain primes.
Canute
Question from a mathematics dunce.

I recently read that Merseinne primes are searched for using 2^x -1 where x is a number. Is this correct?

If so why not use 6n+/-1 instead?

Physics news on Phys.org
x must be prime, so they only use prime exponents anyway.

Does this mean that 11 is not a M prime? Why is 2^x -1 better than 6n+/-1. Does it in some way filter out more non-primes along with the primes it filters out?

A mersenne prime is one of the form 2^n - 1, it is easy to show that n is prime, if 2^n - 1 is. So they only look at prime exponents.

11 a mersenne prime? Of course not, is 12 an integer power of 2?

Not every number of the form 6n+/-1 is prime (eg 25) so they don't use 6n+/-1, however, all primes, except 2, 3 and 5 are of the form 6n+/-1.

I'm a little confused as to what the problem is here.

matt grime said:
A mersenne prime is one of the form 2^n - 1, it is easy to show that n is prime, if 2^n - 1 is. So they only look at prime exponents.
Ah. Maybe I'm looking at it back to front. I thought something was a bit odd about it. So, this a test of whether n is prime while avoiding factorising. Is that it?

No, they are testing whether 2^n - 1 is prime, but they can prove this can only happen if n is prime, so there's no need to check 2^n - 1 if n is composite. since 2^n - 1 is significantly larger than n, so it makes no sense to try and factorize it instead of n.

Yes, sorry, that's what I meant. I get it now. Thanks. I was looking at it back to front.

The GIMPS

You can find more information on the GIMPS web-side:
http://www.mersenne.org/prime.htm
and on their forum:
http://www.mersenneforum.org/index.php?

The GIMPS searchs for Mersenne primes because they are rare (but not as rare as Fermat primes) and because there is a very simple test for proving that they are prime or not (but the proof of the test is quite complex and computing the test for large q like ~26000000 takes a very long time).
The test is:
Let S_0=4 and S_{i+1}=S_i^2 - 2
M_q is prime <==> S_{q-2} = k * M_q

For q=3 , M_q = 2^3-1=7 S_1=14=2*7 : M_3 is prime.
For q=5 , M_q = 2^5-1=31 S_1=14 S_2=194 S_3=37634=2*31*607 : M_5 is prime .

The first Mersenne composite number (with q prime) is M_11 .

Tony

Note: If N==3 Mod 4 and 2N+1 is prime (Called a Sophia Germain prime), then:

(2^n)-1 is divisible by 2n+1. Thus 2^11 -1 = 23*89, 2^23 -1 =47*178481.

See:http://nrich.maths.org/askedNRICH/edited/2186.html

1. What are Merseinne Primes?

Merseinne Primes are a special type of prime number that can be written in the form of 2^n-1, where n is also a prime number. They are named after the French mathematician Marin Mersenne who studied them in the 17th century.

2. How are Merseinne Primes different from regular primes?

Unlike regular primes, Merseinne Primes can be written in a specific mathematical form, 2^n-1. They also tend to be much larger in value compared to regular primes.

3. What is the largest known Merseinne Prime?

As of 2021, the largest known Merseinne Prime is 2^82,589,933-1, which has over 24 million digits. This was discovered in December 2018 and is also the largest known prime number.

4. How are Merseinne Primes used in real-world applications?

Merseinne Primes are primarily used in cryptography and computer science. They are also used in the field of number theory and have been studied for their interesting properties and patterns.

5. Is there a way to easily determine if a number is a Merseinne Prime?

Unfortunately, there is no easy way to determine if a number is a Merseinne Prime. The most efficient method currently known is the Lucas-Lehmer test, which involves complex mathematical calculations. As of now, there is no known formula or algorithm that can generate all Merseinne Primes.