Showing the rest energy doesn't depend on velocity.

In summary, the conversation discusses a system of two particles with rest masses m_1 and m_2 and velocities u_1 and u_2 in the S frame. Another frame, S', with a velocity v in the S frame is considered. It is shown that the rest energy E_0 does not depend on the velocities of the particles, as long as the total momentum of the system is equal to 0 and the gamma factor is equal to 1 in the S frame. This invariance is used to prove another result.
-Dragoon-

Homework Statement

A system of two particles, each with rest masses [itex]m_1[/itex] and [itex]m_2[/itex] have velocities [itex]\vec{u}_1[/itex] and [itex]\vec{u}_2[/itex] in the S frame. Consider another frame, the S' frame, which has a velocity v in the S frame in the direction of increasing x. Show that the rest energy [itex]E_{0}[/itex] does not depend on the velocity of the two particles.

Homework Equations

[itex]E_3 = E_1 + E_2 = \gamma{m_{1}}c^{2} + \gamma{m_{2}}c^{2}[/itex]
[itex]\vec{p}_3 = \vec{p}_1 + \vec{p}_2 = m_1\vec{u}_1 + m_2\vec{u}_2[/itex]
[itex]E_0 = (m_1 + m_2)^{2}c^{4}[/itex]
[itex]E_3^{2} - |\vec{p}_3|^{2}c^{2} = E_0^{2} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I first start with by squaring the expression of the total energy and get:
[itex]E_3^{2} = \gamma^{2}m_{1}^{2}c^{4} + 2\gamma^{2}m_1m_2c^{4} + \gamma^{2}m_{2}c^{4}[/itex]
and then do the same for total momentum of the system:
[itex]\vec{p}_3^{2} = m_1^{2}\vec{u}_1^{2} + 2m_{1}m_{2}\vec{u}_1\vec{u}_2 + m_2^{2}\vec{u}_2^{2}[/itex]
Multiplying through by [itex]c^{2}[/itex]:
[itex]\vec{p}_3^{2}c^{2} = m_1^{2}\vec{u}_1^{2}c^{2} + 2m_{1}m_{2}\vec{u}_1\vec{u}_2c^{2} + m_2^{2}\vec{u}_2^{2}c^{2}[/itex]
And while the total rest energy of the two particles is equal to:
[itex] E_0 = m_1^{2}c^{4} + 2m_1m_2c^{4} + m_2^{2}c^{4}[/itex]

The problem now arises when I use equation 4:
[itex]E_3^{2} - |\vec{p}_3|^{2}c^{2} = E_0^{2} [/itex]
[itex]( \gamma^{2}m_{1}^{2}c^{4} + 2\gamma^{2}m_1m_2c^{4} + \gamma^{2}m_{2}c^{4}) - ( m_1^{2}\vec{u}_1^{2}c^{2} + 2m_{1}m_{2}\vec{u}_1\vec{u}_2c^{2} + m_2^{2}\vec{u}_2^{2}c^{2}) = m_1^{2}c^{4} + 2m_1m_2c^{4} + m_2^{2}c^{4}[/itex]

This equation is only true if either both velocities are equal to zero (and hence the particles are at rest in S frame, which is clearly not the case according to the question) or the total momentum of the system is equal to 0, and finally, the gamma factor is equal to one. Assuming I did everything correctly, then which one is it? Is it the total momentum of the system equal to 0 and how is this the case? Also, how is it that the gamma factor is equal to 1 in the S frame? That is only the case if the particles are not traveling at relativistic speeds, and the question does not tell us whether [itex]\vec{u}_1^{2}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{u}_2^{2}[/itex] are a significant fraction of the speed of light or not.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.I'm actually using this invariance to prove something else, so "showing the rest energy does not depend on the velocities" is really not the question, but the result of this is paramount to my proof.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I should note that I am working with the relativistic equations for momentum and energy, and hence the gamma factor is used. Thanks again!

What is rest energy?

Rest energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its mass, even when it is at rest.

Why doesn't rest energy depend on velocity?

Rest energy does not depend on velocity because it is a fundamental property of an object's mass, which remains constant regardless of its velocity.

How is rest energy related to Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2?

Rest energy is related to Einstein's equation, E=mc^2, as it is the energy equivalent of an object's mass, where c represents the speed of light.

Can an object's rest energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, an object's rest energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy or thermal energy, through processes like nuclear reactions or particle collisions.

Does rest energy have any practical applications?

Yes, rest energy has practical applications in nuclear power and weapons, as well as in medical imaging technologies such as PET scans.