Different bandwidth for different devices

• Thread starter dannan14
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bandwidth
In summary, the speaker is experiencing a bandwidth problem on their PC when connected to their house's wireless router, but their phone does not have the same issue. Both devices were tested on the same website and the PC's videos are buffering while the phone's videos run smoothly. The speaker recently replaced their NIC with a USB 802.11n NIC, but is now wondering if it's worth their time to try and make it work as advertised or if they should just buy a traditional PCI card for better performance. They are grateful for the advice given.
dannan14
Hi, I'm trying to diagnose a bandwidth problem on my PC. I'm getting less than half a Mbit when connected to my house's wireless router. However, when i connect to that same router with my phone i get over 4Mb.

Both devices were tested on the same website (bandwidth place) so i am certain that the test results are on the same scale. On my PC videos will run for a few seconds, buffer for longer, then run for a few seconds, etc. On my phone the same video runs smoothly.

The embedded NIC in my PC recently died, so i replaced it with a USB NIC. The new NIC is 802.11n and it is connected to a USB 2.0. I'm at a loss for what i can do to correct this problem. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Computer science news on Phys.org
USB NIC is a bad idea. Performance will always be bad due to the nature of the USB setup.

Thanks for the input. Are you saying that it isn't worth my time to continue trying to make this product work as advertised? As in i should just buy a traditional card because there is no solution to this problem?

If you can buy a PCI card then by all means, it will give the best performance. They are pretty cheap these days.

i appreciate the advice, thanks!

What is bandwidth?

Bandwidth refers to the maximum amount of data that can be transmitted through a network or internet connection in a given amount of time. It is typically measured in bits per second (bps) or bytes per second (Bps).

Why do different devices require different bandwidth?

Different devices have different capabilities and purposes, which can affect their bandwidth requirements. For example, a smartphone may require less bandwidth for basic tasks like browsing the internet, while a computer used for streaming videos may require higher bandwidth for smooth playback.

How does bandwidth affect device performance?

Bandwidth can directly impact the performance of a device. If a device does not have enough bandwidth, it may experience slow loading times, buffering, or even connection drops. On the other hand, having more bandwidth than needed does not necessarily improve performance.

What are some factors that can affect bandwidth for different devices?

There are several factors that can affect the bandwidth required for different devices, including the type of network connection (e.g. Wi-Fi, cellular), the quality of the connection, the number of devices connected to the network, and the type of data being transmitted (e.g. text, images, videos).

How can I optimize bandwidth for different devices?

To optimize bandwidth for different devices, you can try a few strategies such as using a wired connection instead of Wi-Fi, limiting the number of devices connected to the network, and avoiding bandwidth-heavy activities (e.g. streaming high-definition videos) when necessary. Additionally, regularly monitoring your network and upgrading your internet plan if needed can help ensure optimal bandwidth for your devices.