Transferring data wirelessly between phone and PC

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
I have a small project to transfer data wirelessly from an App to my PC. I have a sketch of how to go about it. Hoping someone can check if it's roughly correct.
Hi,
I'm trying to find a way of sending data in real time , Wirelessly ,from my Step Tracker App in my Samsung Android to my PC.

I have a rough idea on how to do it. Would like to see if I'm roughly on the right track:

So I need to have the same program version on the PC as in my phone. Then I need to create an inbound rule in my PCs firewall allowing data from the Samsung app. I haven't been able to find an ' Export' function on the App. If there's one, I can create a connection string to create a path for the data.

Am I roughly on the right track?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Are you the developer of the Android app in question? More specifically, do you have access to its source code?

If the answer is "no", a few more questions:
WWGD said:
So I need to have the same program version on the PC as in my phone.
So, the devs have released a version for PC as well? Then they should have an option to connect the two within the app itself. But you say:
WWGD said:
I haven't been able to find an ' Export' function on the App.
Does that mean the app inherently does not have any option to connect to the PC version?

Could you please also link to the app?

In general, it is impossible for an outsider to get hold of the internal database of an app because of how Android is built (i.e. assuming your phone is not rooted). That would be a security vulnerability. If the app stores its data somewhere in the user-accessible folders, however, you could design another app to grab and send that data.

Likes WWGD
Wrichik Basu said:
Are you the developer of the Android app in question? More specifically, do you have access to its source code?

If the answer is "no", a few more questions:

So, the devs have released a version for PC as well? Then they should have an option to connect the two within the app itself. But you say:

Does that mean the app inherently does not have any option to connect to the PC version?

Could you please also link to the app?

In general, it is impossible for an outsider to get hold of the internal database of an app because of how Android is built (i.e. assuming your phone is not rooted). That would be a security vulnerability. If the app stores its data somewhere in the user-accessible folders, however, you could design another app to grab and send that data.
Thank you. It's more of a pet project of mine than an effort at actually developing an app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...ss.walkingtracker.pedometer&hl=en&gl=US&pli=1

Likes Wrichik Basu
WWGD said:
Thank you. It's more of a pet project of mine than an effort at actually developing an app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...ss.walkingtracker.pedometer&hl=en&gl=US&pli=1
That's an impressive pet project indeed, with 10M+ downloads and 639k reviews, averaging 4.9! If it's your app, I guess all the discussion becomes needless. How you want to connect it to the PC version is completely up to you, isn't it? That makes it more of a programming question than a technology question. You have your servers running, then you just need to relay data between the mobile and the server, and then with the server and PC in real time.

Likes WWGD

1. How do I transfer data wirelessly between my phone and PC?

There are several ways to transfer data wirelessly between your phone and PC. One option is to use a cloud storage service, such as Google Drive or Dropbox, to upload and download files from both devices. Another option is to use a file transfer app, such as SHAREit or Xender, which allows you to transfer data directly between devices connected to the same Wi-Fi network. You can also use Bluetooth to transfer smaller files between your phone and PC.

2. Is it safe to transfer data wirelessly between my phone and PC?

Yes, it is generally safe to transfer data wirelessly between your phone and PC. However, it is important to make sure that you are using a secure Wi-Fi network and that the devices are paired correctly before transferring any sensitive data. It is also recommended to use a trusted file transfer app or cloud storage service to ensure the safety of your data.

3. What types of data can I transfer wirelessly between my phone and PC?

You can transfer a variety of data wirelessly between your phone and PC, including photos, videos, music, documents, and more. Most file transfer apps and cloud storage services allow you to transfer any type of file between devices.

4. Do I need an internet connection to transfer data wirelessly between my phone and PC?

No, you do not necessarily need an internet connection to transfer data wirelessly between your phone and PC. If you are using a file transfer app or cloud storage service, you can transfer data directly between devices connected to the same Wi-Fi network. However, if you are using a cloud storage service, you will need an internet connection to upload and download files from the cloud.

5. Can I transfer data wirelessly between my phone and PC if they are different brands?

Yes, you can usually transfer data wirelessly between your phone and PC even if they are different brands. As long as both devices have the necessary software or apps, and are connected to the same Wi-Fi network, you should be able to transfer data between them. However, it is always recommended to check for compatibility before attempting to transfer data between different brands of devices.