Are there any Physics Master's programs that prioritize research experience?

• Thread starter bjnartowt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    students
In summary, the individual is seeking advice on how to gain research experience in order to pursue a career as a physicist. They have a Bachelor's degree in math and are currently in a graduate engineering program, but are taking a physics course and plan to pursue a Master's degree in physics as a stepping stone to a PhD. They are concerned about the availability of research opportunities in Master's programs, but are considering the University of Minnesota Duluth due to a friend's positive experience there. They are also looking for organizations that offer internships and fellowships for research experience.
bjnartowt
Hi everyone...thanks for all your very-helpful comments so far. You are really helping a student who has a B.S. in math, is stuck in graduate engineering, is only now (2008) taking a graduate-level physics course (last physics course taken was in 2003) while in an engineering curriculum, and wants to start being a physicist one year from now...but has no idea HOW to accumulate research experience...or what the heck I should be doing right now.

Anyway, I'd like to know: I want to get my M.S. in physics as a sort of transitionary qualification to a PhD degree (can't get an expensive (time and moneywise) B.S., and don't want to jump into a PhD right away). However, I've noticed that M.S. students in a primarily-PhD oriented program kind of get bastardized, as the title of this thread says...as in the program just isn't designed to accommodate their needs for research, to be involved, etc.

I fear the same will happen in a Physics Master's program...except the University of Minnesota Duluth has an M.S.-only physics grad program (unheard of). Ordinarily, I would be skeptical, but my friend just got his M.S. from there, and, as he described it "The program got me to think like a physicist!" (He seemed satisfied). Are there any other schools like this? I wish there was one closer to Florida (I am willing to travel, but my girlfriend feels badly that I would be away).

Physics news on Phys.org
Also, are there any organizations out there that foster research experience in the form of internships and/or fellowships? I am willing to go anywhere, especially if all expenses are paid.Thanks for your help!

Yes, there are definitely Physics Master's programs that prioritize research experience. In fact, many universities have Master's programs specifically designed for students who are interested in pursuing a PhD in physics. These programs often have a strong focus on research and provide students with opportunities to work on cutting-edge projects with faculty members.

Some universities, like the University of Minnesota Duluth, may have M.S.-only programs that are geared towards preparing students for PhD programs. However, there are also many other universities that offer traditional Master's programs in physics that still prioritize research experience.

To find these programs, I suggest doing some research on universities that have strong physics departments and looking at their Master's program curriculum. You can also reach out to current students or alumni to get a better understanding of the research opportunities available in a particular program.

Additionally, you can also look into summer research programs or internships at national labs or other research institutions to gain more research experience before starting your Master's program. These experiences can also help you build connections and potentially lead to research opportunities during your Master's program.

Overall, it is important to carefully research and consider different programs to find one that aligns with your goals and priorities, especially when it comes to research experience. Good luck in your search!

FAQ: Are there any Physics Master's programs that prioritize research experience?

1. What is a "Bastardized M.S. student"?

A "Bastardized M.S. student" is a term used in the scientific community to refer to a student pursuing a Master's degree in a field that is not their undergraduate major. This can also apply to students who are taking classes or conducting research in a different field than their primary area of study.

2. Why do students choose to become "Bastardized M.S. students"?

There are a variety of reasons why a student may choose to become a "Bastardized M.S. student." Some may be interested in pursuing a different career path, while others may want to gain a broader understanding of their field or explore a particular research interest. Additionally, some students may not have had the opportunity to study their desired field in their undergraduate program.

3. How does being a "Bastardized M.S. student" affect future career opportunities?

Becoming a "Bastardized M.S. student" can have both positive and negative impacts on future career opportunities. On one hand, it can demonstrate the student's versatility and ability to adapt to new fields, which can be highly valued by employers. On the other hand, it may also limit opportunities in certain specialized fields that require a more specific educational background.

4. Are there any challenges that "Bastardized M.S. students" face?

Yes, there can be challenges for "Bastardized M.S. students," especially in terms of coursework and research. These students may have to work harder to catch up on foundational knowledge in their new field and may also face difficulty finding a research topic that aligns with their interests and skills. They may also face some skepticism or bias from their peers or professors due to their non-traditional academic background.

5. Can "Bastardized M.S. students" still pursue a PhD?

Yes, "Bastardized M.S. students" can still pursue a PhD, but it may require additional effort and preparation. Some PhD programs may prefer applicants with a more traditional academic background, but others may value the diverse perspectives and skills that "Bastardized M.S. students" can bring. It is important for these students to demonstrate their passion, dedication, and potential for success in their desired PhD field through strong research experience and letters of recommendation.