Take a year off to study for PGRE?

In summary, the conversation discusses the options for a student with a GPA above 3.7 in math and physics, publications, and research experience, who expects to do poorly on the physics GRE. The options include cancelling the test and taking a year off to study for it, or completing a 1-year master's degree and then applying to graduate schools. It is also mentioned that taking a year off may not be worth it for the sole purpose of studying for the GRE and that going to a top tier school may not be as important as finding a project and mentor that the student is interested in. The importance of the physics GRE as a metric for graduate schools is also discussed, along with the potential benefits and drawbacks of taking a year off
quasar_4
Let's say, hypothetically speaking, that a reasonably good student (GPA > 3.7 in math, physics, a couple publications and research experience in both solid state and theory) expects (from '96, '01 practice test scores) to do quite terribly on the physics GRE (like ~600), but wants to go to a second-tier school.

Is it better to cancel the test altogether, take a whole year off following graduation, study exclusively for the PGRE, do well and then apply to graduate schools?

Or, better to stay at the same institution and complete a 1-year master's degree in math or physics and then apply?

And if the student takes the test and it does go as badly as imagined, should they still take a year off to study and retake it (as in, does the first failure followed by a year off look bad)?

Or see if the bad score will get them in "somewhere" and go "somewhere" even if the "somewhere" is not a highly ranked program?

This is all assuming the score is so bad that the student is rejected from all second tier schools.

Physics news on Phys.org
An undergrad with publications? I'd say you're ahead of the curve anyway. While sometimes taking a year off can be good to give you a taste of life after school, I'm not sure it would be with your time to do it for the sole purpose of studying for the GRE. For one, there's no guarantee that you would do that much better with an extra year.

As for going "somewhere" I think what's important is that you embark on a project that you're insterested in and passionate about and that you find a decent mentor who you can learn from. Going to a "top tier" school can have some advantages, but personally I think it's over rated.

You don't need an extra year, only a few months. This is a cram test first and foremost. You snatch all 4 previous GRE's floating around and memorize the answers and the tricks to getting those answers.

One thing you do NOT do on the physics GRE's is physics. If you study your Griffiths or Kittel or whatever, you will FAIL the GRE's, because you will be in physics mode and try to actually solve problems and do it mathematically with rigor. That's a sure fire way to fail. You need to know instantly what is going on in the problem and intuitively arrive at the answer. You have 180 minutes for 100 problems. You just don't have the time to do anything else.

The physics GRE is important because in a lot of respects it's the one metric that doesn't change between schools. I don't know your instructors, and I don't know what your 3.7 GPA means; all I know is that you did such-and-such compared to so-and-so sampling of students on the PGRE.

Now, after that? Crapshoot. Do any of your advisors know people at schools you want to go to? Is there anyone at these schools that you think would have read any of your papers? These are the things that will actually set you apart.

I think taking a year off and not getting great research or relevant work experience will actually look kind of bad on an application. Especially if after that year you don't completely ace the test. My GRE score wasn't great (730) and I got rejected from a couple places I thought I was competitive for (and a few I knew I wasn't!) but I think if I'd taken a year off I'd actually have been worse off.

I think the getting in "somewhere" route is okay if you get in somewhere that you're comfortable going. There is a pedigree effect, and if you think you're going to get a faculty job with a Ph.D. from Idaho, you're going to have to work a lot harder than the kid who got into Princeton. If you don't get in anywhere that gives you a realistic shot at your career goals (of course, Idaho Ph.D.s don't go unemployed, and they spent their Ph.D. years in a much better winter sports scene) then I think sticking around for a masters seems to be a good path.

1. What is the PGRE and why is it important?

The Physics Graduate Record Examination (PGRE) is a standardized test that measures a student's knowledge and understanding of physics at the undergraduate level. It is an important part of the graduate school application process for physics programs, as it helps admissions committees assess a student's potential for success in a graduate program.

2. Should I take a year off to study for the PGRE?

This is a personal decision and depends on your individual circumstances. If you feel that you need more time to prepare for the PGRE and improve your score, then taking a year off to focus on studying may be beneficial. However, it is important to also consider the potential impact on your academic and professional goals.

3. How should I prepare for the PGRE?

There are a variety of resources available for PGRE preparation, including study guides, practice tests, and review courses. It is important to create a study plan and allocate enough time to cover all of the topics on the exam. It may also be helpful to work with a study group or seek guidance from a tutor or mentor.

4. What score do I need on the PGRE to get into a good graduate program?

The score needed to get into a graduate program varies depending on the specific program and university. However, a good score is typically considered to be in the 70th percentile or higher. It is important to research the average PGRE scores for the programs you are interested in to get a better idea of what score you should aim for.

5. Can I retake the PGRE if I am not satisfied with my score?

Yes, you can retake the PGRE if you are not satisfied with your score. However, there are limitations on how often you can retake the exam (no more than 3 times in any 12-month period) and you will need to pay the registration fee each time. It is important to carefully consider your preparation and readiness before deciding to retake the exam.