What is the intersection of two lines and how is it determined?

In summary, the lines L1 and L2 are skew and do not intersect. Their direction vectors have a dot product of zero, indicating that they are orthogonal. Therefore, there is no solution to the system of equations and the lines do not intersect.
roam

Determine wether the lines L1, L2 are parallel, skew or intersecting. If they intersect, find the point of intersection.

L1 = [tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}x\\y\\z\end{array}\right) =[/tex] [tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}1\\2\\0\end{array}\right)[/tex] [tex]+ t \left(\begin{array}{ccc}1\\-1\\3\end{array}\right)[/tex]

L2 = [tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}x\\y\\z\end{array}\right) =[/tex] [tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}2\\1\\4\end{array}\right)[/tex] [tex]+ s \left(\begin{array}{ccc}-1\\2\\1\end{array}\right)[/tex]

For some [tex]t, s \in R[/tex]

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I believe L1 & L2 are not parallel because their direction vectors aren't multiples of each other.

The dot product of their direction vectors are zero; this tells us that they are orthogonal/skew and not parallel.

To find the intersection point we say: L1 = L2

x1 = x2

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}1\\2\\0\end{array}\right)[/tex] [tex]+ t \left(\begin{array}{ccc}1\\-1\\3\end{array}\right) =[/tex] [tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}2\\1\\4\end{array}\right)[/tex] [tex]+ s \left(\begin{array}{ccc}-1\\2\\1\end{array}\right)[/tex]

yields the following system of linear equations;

1+t = 2-s
2-t = 1+2s
3t = 4+s

I think maybe it can be re-written as:

t+s = 1
-t-2s = -1
3t-s = 4

Is my working correct so far? If yes, can you guys show me how to solve this set of simultaneous equations to find the actual point of intersection please. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi roam! :smile:
roam said:
t+s = 1
-t-2s = -1
3t-s = 4

Is my working correct so far?

Perfect! :biggrin:

And the trick now is to solve two of the equations (I'd suggest the first two :wink:), and see whether the result fits the third one.

Have a go! :smile:

Thanks for checking my work. :smile: :smile:

I don't know how to solve this simultaneous equation but I'll have a go;

(1) t+s = 1
(2) -t-2s = -1
(3) 3t-s = 4

If (2) is true then t = 1-2s

And if (1) is true then t+s = 1 => t = 1-s

If (1) and (2) are both true then;

1-2s = 1-s
s = 0

Now from equation (1)
t+s = 1
t = 1

You see? My solutions never fits the third one, what did I do wrong? :rolleyes:

roam said:
(1) t+s = 1
(2) -t-2s = -1
(3) 3t-s = 4

If (2) is true then t = 1-2s

And if (1) is true then t+s = 1 => t = 1-s

If (1) and (2) are both true then;

1-2s = 1-s
s = 0

Now from equation (1)
t+s = 1
t = 1

oooh, this is so long-winded.

First, you don't have to say "if (2) is true …": just say "from (2) …"

Second, how about just adding (1) and (2)? :smile:
You see? My solutions never fits the third one, what did I do wrong? :rolleyes:

Nothing! :rolleyes:

Read the question
roam said:
Determine wether the lines L1, L2 are parallel, skew or intersecting. If they intersect, find the point of intersection.

so … ? :smile:

so … ? :smile:

So, what can we conclude from this? Does this tell us the system has no solution ie. the system is inconsistent?

Therefore there is no intersection. The lines are skew (they are orthogonal but do not meet).

:uhh:

roam said:
Therefore there is no intersection. The lines are skew (they are orthogonal but do not meet).

:uhh:

:biggrin: Woohoo! :biggrin:

1. What is the intersection point of two lines?

The intersection point of two lines is the point where the two lines meet or cross each other. This point has the same coordinates on both lines.

2. How do you find the intersection point of two lines?

To find the intersection point of two lines, you can use the substitution method or the elimination method. In the substitution method, you solve one of the equations for one of the variables and then substitute that value into the other equation. In the elimination method, you manipulate the equations so that when you add or subtract them, one of the variables is eliminated, leaving you with a single equation to solve for the remaining variable. The solution to this equation will give you the coordinates of the intersection point.

3. How many intersection points can two lines have?

Two lines can have either one, infinite, or no intersection points. If the two lines have different slopes, they will intersect at one point. If the two lines have the same slope, they will be parallel and have no intersection point. If the two lines are the same, they will overlap and have infinite intersection points.

4. Can two lines intersect at more than one point?

No, two lines cannot intersect at more than one point. By definition, an intersection point is the point where two lines meet, and it can only have one set of coordinates.

5. Are intersecting lines always perpendicular?

No, intersecting lines are not always perpendicular. Perpendicular lines have slopes that are negative reciprocals of each other, meaning one slope is the negative inverse of the other. Two lines can intersect without being perpendicular if they have different slopes but are not negative reciprocals of each other.