Definite integral using diagonalizatio

In summary, the solution to the homework equation is to substitute the variables x and y into the equation, and replace the indefinite integral with a definite integral.
Steve Turchin

Homework Statement

##\int_{-\infty} ^{\infty} dx \int_{-\infty} ^{\infty} dy \ \ e^{-3x^2+2xy-3y^2} ##

Homework Equations

## \int_{-\infty} ^{\infty} dx \int_{-\infty} ^{\infty} dy \ \ e^{-x^2-y^2} = \pi ##

The Attempt at a Solution

##3x^2-2xy+3y^2 = (x,y)
\left( \begin{array}{ccc}
3 & -1 \\
-1 & 3 \end{array} \right)

x \\
y \end{array} \right) = \\

=(x',y')
2 & 0 \\
0 & 4 \end{array} \right)
x' \\
y' \end{array} \right) = 2x'^2+4y'^2 \\
\\ \\
## I got this far, I know the solution but I don't understand what is done here:
(copied answer from my tutor):

Why is this suddenly an indefinite integral? (or maybe it's just a ## \LaTeX ## mistake?) :

## I = \int dx \int dy \ \ e^{-2x^2-4y^2} ##

And why can this be changed to :

##\frac{1}{2\sqrt{2}} \int_{-\infty} ^{\infty} dx \int_{-\infty} ^{\infty} dy \ \ e^{-x^2-y^2} \\
=\frac{\pi}{2\sqrt{2}}
##

Physics news on Phys.org
Steve Turchin said:

Homework Statement

##\int_{-\infty} ^{\infty} dx \int_{-\infty} ^{\infty} dy \ \ e^{-3x^2+2xy-3y^2} ##

Homework Equations

## \int_{-\infty} ^{\infty} dx \int_{-\infty} ^{\infty} dy \ \ e^{-x^2-y^2} = \pi ##

##3x^2-2xy+3y^2 = (x,y)
3 & -1 \\

x \\

=(x',y')
2 & 0 \\
x' \\
\\ \\
## I got this far, I know the solution but I don't understand what is done here:

Why is this suddenly an indefinite integral? (or maybe it's just a ## \LaTeX ## mistake?) :

This should still be a definite integral.
Steve Turchin said:
And why can this be changed to :

##\frac{1}{2\sqrt{2}} \int_{-\infty} ^{\infty} dx \int_{-\infty} ^{\infty} dy \ \ e^{-x^2-y^2} \\
=\frac{\pi}{2\sqrt{2}}
##
He did a substitution to change ##2x²+4y²## into ##u²+v²## (I deliberately used other variable names, the tutor kept the variable names ##x,\ y##).
You should be able to see what substitution he did.

Likes Steve Turchin
Steve Turchin said:
I got this far, I know the solution but I don't understand what is done here
A change of integration variables gets rid of the ##xy## in the exponent. Now the integrations can be done 'one after the other'.

It wasn't a ##\LaTeX## mistake, just a bit of laziness.

The next substitution is just to get rid of the 2 and the 4

And I assume you know where the ##\sqrt \pi## cames from...

Likes Steve Turchin
Steve Turchin said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

##3x^2-2xy+3y^2 = (x,y)
3 & -1 \\

x \\

=(x',y')
2 & 0 \\
x' \\
\\ \\

This should be ## I = \int \int e^{-2 x'^2 - 4 y'^2} \, |J(x',y')| \, dx' \, dy' ## where ##J(x',y')## is the Jacobian determinant of the transformation from ##(x,y)## to ##(x',y')##; that is,
[tex] J(x',y') = \left| \begin{array}{cc} \partial x / \partial x' & \partial x / \partial y' \\
\partial y / \partial x' & \partial y / \partial y'
\end{array} \right|
[/tex]
****************************************************And why can this be changed to :

=\frac{\pi}{2\sqrt{2}}
##

Last edited:
Likes Steve Turchin

What is a definite integral using diagonalization?

A definite integral using diagonalization is a method of calculating the area under a curve by transforming the integral into a simpler form using diagonalization. This method is often used in multivariable calculus to solve integrals over regions with curved boundaries.

How is diagonalization used to solve definite integrals?

Diagonalization is used to simplify the integrand by transforming it into a diagonal form. This involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the original integrand and using them to construct a diagonal matrix. The integral can then be calculated by integrating each term of the diagonal matrix separately.

What are the benefits of using diagonalization in definite integrals?

Using diagonalization can make solving definite integrals easier and more efficient. It can also help to reduce the complexity of the integral and make it easier to interpret the results. Additionally, diagonalization can be used to solve integrals that may be difficult or impossible to solve using traditional methods.

Are there any limitations to using diagonalization in definite integrals?

While diagonalization can be a powerful tool for solving definite integrals, it may not always be the most efficient or appropriate method. It may not be applicable to certain types of integrals, and it can be time-consuming to find the necessary eigenvalues and eigenvectors. Additionally, diagonalization may not always provide the most accurate results.

Can diagonalization be applied to other mathematical problems besides definite integrals?

Yes, diagonalization is a widely used technique in linear algebra and can be applied to a variety of mathematical problems, including systems of linear equations, eigenvalue problems, and diagonalization of matrices. It is a powerful tool that can simplify and solve complex mathematical problems.