Rectangular waveguide cavity - Maximum E field

In summary, the conversation discusses a method for calculating the maximum E-field strength in a rectangular waveguide cavity resonator at 1.6GHz with an input power of 200W. The dimensions of the cavity are given, along with the conductivity of the walls. The conversation also mentions a similar problem and a potential method for calculating the E-field. However, it is uncertain if this method is accurate.
m_niz
Hi,

I am trying to calculate maximum E-field strength in a rectangular waveguide cavity resonator at 1.6GHz. The input power is 200W while the resonator should wsupport TE101 mode. cavity dimensions are 0.131mmx0.65mmx0.134mm (WxHxL) having lossy walls made up of copper with conductivity of 5.8x10^7.

Is there any equation or procedure that can lead me to this solution? I have adopted a way to calculate Q factor, assume power loss in guide walls as 10W and then calculate Eo. Is it the right approach?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi m_niz,

I have a similar problem and I was wondering if you have finally found out how to estimate the maximum E field for a given input power. I would appreciate if yuo share it with me.

Thanks

Hi rama-lama,

I am failed to figure out a direct method for such calculation. The only way I found is to estimate the Q-factor, then by assuming power loss in the conducting walls(Pc) (and in the filled dielectric if that is the case), I calculated E-field using:

Eo^2=(16*Q*Pc)/(2*wo*ε*a*b*d)

I am not very sure that it gives the right value though.

What is a rectangular waveguide cavity?

A rectangular waveguide cavity is a type of electromagnetic resonator that consists of a metal box with conductive walls. It is used to confine and control electromagnetic waves within a certain frequency range.

How is the maximum E field calculated in a rectangular waveguide cavity?

The maximum E field in a rectangular waveguide cavity is determined by the dimensions of the cavity and the operating frequency. It can be calculated using the formula: Emax = (n x π x f x c) / (2 x a), where n is the mode number, f is the operating frequency, c is the speed of light, and a is the length of the side of the cavity.

What is the importance of the maximum E field in a rectangular waveguide cavity?

The maximum E field in a rectangular waveguide cavity is important because it determines the amount of energy that can be stored and transmitted within the cavity. It also affects the resonant frequency and bandwidth of the cavity.

How does the shape of a rectangular waveguide cavity affect the maximum E field?

The shape of a rectangular waveguide cavity has a direct impact on the distribution of the E field. The longer and narrower the cavity, the higher the maximum E field will be. In contrast, a shorter and wider cavity will have a lower maximum E field.

What are some practical applications of the maximum E field in rectangular waveguide cavities?

The maximum E field in rectangular waveguide cavities is utilized in many practical applications, such as microwave and radio frequency filters, waveguide couplers, and cavity resonators for radar and communication systems. It is also used in particle accelerators and high-power microwave devices.