Angle of Incidence and Reflection.

In summary, Pavan explains that the angle of reflection is always the same as the angle of incidence because conservation of energy and momentum is at play. Additionally, he mentions that only specular reflection occurs under normal conditions and that he is still unsatisfied with his understanding of the photon-atom interaction.
bestpavan
Hi,

Can someone please eloborate me why the Angle of Reflection is always same as the Angle of Incidence. I want the explanation at photon and molecular interaction level.

Thanks in advance.

- Pavan.

Science news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Pavan ! Welcome to PF! :smile:

I think it's simply conservation of energy and momentum …

if no energy is lost (ie if the wavelength of each photon stays the same), and if the reaction force is normal to the surface (which it must be if the surface doesn't change shape), then the angles must be the same. :wink:

Hi tiny-tim, Thanks for the Reply!

Actually I am only 50% satisfied still.

What is it that the photon is interacting with?

Lets say, I shine some light on a pool of water, what is it that is causing the "normal reaction"?

Is the photon bouncing off the nucleus of Hydrogen and Oxygen atoms? If so, how?

- Pavan.

The actual mechanism of the interaction between the photon and the atoms in the material is a very complicated process as far as I know, but I can try to give you my amateur explanation.

When the EM wave reaches the reflecting surface it slightly enters the material and interacts with the atoms. The atoms are bound together and electrically charged, which means that they are effectively working as balls connected by springs. The light wave makes the balls move, but they are retained by their bindings and therefore they start to oscillate. Oscillating charges means electromagnetic fields, which naturally has to be the opposite of their cause. A new EM wave is generated and sent in all directions but those who go back into the material will eventually be absorbed.

This process depends on the structure of the atoms which is the reason why some materials almost let light pass right through it, some reflect most of it, and most do both.

Hi Jame, Thanks for your reply.

Can anyone explain how prapogation of light through transparent objects work?

How can most of the photons travel so perfectly aligned through a solid object?

My another question is regarding Polarization. How do polarizors work?

- Pavan.

bestpavan said:
Hi,

Can someone please eloborate me why the Angle of Reflection is always same as the Angle of Incidence. I want the explanation at photon and molecular interaction level.

Thanks in advance.

- Pavan.

It isn't, in general- only for specular reflection.

Hi Andy,

Could you please kindly answer the other questions in my earlier posts!

Thanks in advance.

- Pavan.

I would be happy to help you understand any points you are not sure about- but I can't help you unless I have a better idea of what you understand already.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your commitment to help others!

I have a decently good idea about physics. However, my understanding is limited to the "Principles" of it, and not the exact reason behind those principles.

To start with, could you please tell me what an Electro-Magnetic wave exactly is? and how it is generated from an atom? And how does that wave prapogate in vacuum?

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure what electromagentic waves *are*, in all honesty. I know there are several ways of describing electromagnetic phenomena including a continuous field theory (waves), a quantized field theory (photons), or as rays (geometical optics).

Propogating EM waves can be generated in a number of ways- including bound state transitions of an atom. In the wave picture, the wave propogates by itself:there need be no 'medium' in which the wave propogates.

Does this help?

1. What is the angle of incidence and reflection?

The angle of incidence and reflection are two angles formed when a ray of light hits a surface and bounces off. The angle of incidence is the angle between the incident ray and the normal (a line perpendicular to the surface). The angle of reflection is the angle between the reflected ray and the normal.

2. How are the angle of incidence and reflection related?

According to the law of reflection, the angle of incidence and the angle of reflection are equal. This means that if the angle of incidence changes, the angle of reflection will also change by the same amount.

3. What is the significance of the angle of incidence and reflection?

The angle of incidence and reflection are important in understanding how light behaves when it interacts with a surface. By measuring and understanding these angles, we can predict the direction of reflected light and determine the properties of the surface it is bouncing off of.

4. How does the angle of incidence and reflection affect the brightness of an object?

The angle of incidence and reflection can affect the perceived brightness of an object. When the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection, the reflected light will be the brightest. As the angle of incidence deviates from this angle, the reflected light will appear dimmer.

5. Can the angle of incidence and reflection be changed?

Yes, the angle of incidence and reflection can be changed by changing the position of the light source or the angle of the surface. The angle of incidence can also be altered by using mirrors or lenses to manipulate the path of the light rays.