What Is the Radius of the n = 6 Bohr Orbit in O7+?

• Thread starter rayfieca
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radius
In summary, the radius of the n = 6 Bohr orbit in O7+ is 238 pm, calculated using the equation r(sub n)=(n^2)*a(sub b)*Z, where Z is the charge of the nucleus. This is different from the equation for hydrogen, as Z=8 for oxygen.
rayfieca

Homework Statement

Calculate the radius of the n = 6 Bohr orbit in O7+(oxygen with 7 of its 8 electrons removed).
A) 190 pm B) 167 pm C) 238 pm D) 214 pm

Homework Equations

I believe that the relevant equation is
r(sub n)=(n^2)*a(sub b) where a(sub b)= Bohr's radius= 5.29*10^-11 m

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated it for what I believed to be n=6, but I got an incorrect answer. The correct answer is (C) 238 pm, but I do not understand why.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your formula is not quite complete. You need to take into account the charge in the nucleus (so the number of protons).

Welcome to PF :smile:

Your equation is for hydrogen, with a charge of +1 on the nucleus.
Since oxygen has a charge of Z=8 for the nucleus, that equation should be different, containing Z somehow.

Does your textbook discuss "hydrogen-like" or "hydrogenic" ions?

EDIT: ah, I should know better than to wait a 1/2 hour and then respond without refreshing the page. :redface:

Unfortunately,
I cannot find an equation that takes into account (Z). Anyone have the equation handy?
Thanks for all your help!

Thank you very much!

Related to What Is the Radius of the n = 6 Bohr Orbit in O7+?

What is the formula for calculating the radius?

The formula for calculating the radius is: radius = circumference / 2π, where circumference is the distance around a circle and π is a mathematical constant with an approximate value of 3.14.

How do you calculate the radius of a circle if you only know the circumference?

To calculate the radius of a circle if you only know the circumference, use the formula: radius = circumference / 2π. Plug in the known value for circumference and solve for radius.

Can you calculate the radius if you only know the area of a circle?

Yes, you can calculate the radius if you only know the area of a circle. The formula for this is: radius = √(area / π), where √ represents the square root and π is a mathematical constant with an approximate value of 3.14.

How do you find the radius of a circle given the diameter?

To find the radius of a circle given the diameter, simply divide the diameter by 2. The formula for this is: radius = diameter / 2.

What is the unit of measurement for radius?

The unit of measurement for radius is the same as the unit of measurement for distance. This can vary depending on the system of measurement being used, but common units include centimeters, meters, feet, and inches.