Programming a 7 segment display timer

In summary, the speaker is a student studying industrial design at Loughborough and is redesigning a stopwatch as part of their coursework. They have added a 7-segment display to a basic circuit and are having trouble programming it to start, stop, and reset with the push of a button. They are seeking help with programming and mention the need for a timer, either through hardware or software. They also mention the possibility of using a microcomputer, but it is not mentioned if they have one on the board.
PaulEndacott
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me, I am studying industrial design at Loughborough and as part of my coursework I am re-designing a stopwatch. Along with this coursework I need to submit a simulation of the electronics that would be involved.

We have all ben given a basic circuit, which I have added in the picture, and I have bought a 7 seven display to attach to it, on a breadboard

I have attatched a picture of what we have already made. And another of the breadboard and battery pack.

The problem I am having is programming the circuit to work how I want it:

I want to make it so when i press the button (pin3) then the timer will start, the green LED will flash momentarily, and the buzzer will beep momentarily. Then, when the same button is pushed again, the timer will stop on the number and the red LED will flash momentarily. Then, when the button is pushed again, the timer will reset and the yellow LED will flash momentarily.

I am useless at programming as I have never done it before and i was wondering if anyone could help me? The circuit does not have to work exactly as I want it to above but something on those lines. Any help on programming this sort of system would be much appreciated!

Many thanks,

Paul

Screen shot 2010-03-01 at 13.29.30.png

Screen shot 2010-03-01 at 13.28.37.png

Technology news on Phys.org
you need a timer, either in software or hardware. try googling "one-shot" circuits if you want to use hardware. if you want to use software, you need a microcomputer on the board--which you do not mention having.

1. How do I program a 7 segment display timer?

To program a 7 segment display timer, you will need to use a microcontroller or a programmable device with digital output capabilities. You will also need to have a basic understanding of programming languages, such as C or assembly, and how to interface with the specific 7 segment display you are using.

2. What is the purpose of a 7 segment display timer?

A 7 segment display timer is commonly used as a visual indicator of time in various applications, such as in kitchen timers, alarm clocks, and industrial processes. It allows users to easily view and track time in a simple and straightforward manner.

3. How do I wire a 7 segment display timer?

Wiring a 7 segment display timer involves connecting the display to a power source, a microcontroller or programmable device, and any necessary resistors or other components. The specific wiring configuration may vary depending on the type of display and the device you are using, so it is important to refer to the manufacturer's instructions or datasheet for the correct wiring diagram.

4. Can a 7 segment display timer be used for counting down or counting up?

Yes, a 7 segment display timer can be programmed to count down or count up depending on the desired functionality. This can be achieved by writing the appropriate code and using the proper input/output configurations on the microcontroller or programmable device.

5. What are some common troubleshooting steps for a 7 segment display timer?

If your 7 segment display timer is not functioning properly, some common troubleshooting steps include checking the wiring connections, ensuring the correct code is being used, and checking for any faulty components. It may also be helpful to refer to the manufacturer's troubleshooting guide or seek assistance from an experienced programmer.